2019 Trip to China (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, October 05, 2020, 17:28 (1261 days ago) @ dulan drift

The following is from Andrews’ travel expense account (my bold). Politicians use long sentences so it’s broken down for clarity purposes:

Purpose of travel

From 25 to 29 April 2019, I travelled to China to visit Beijing and Nanjing. The purpose of this travel was to represent Victoria as the only Australian sub-national leader at the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation (BRF) in Beijing,...
(only Australian leader who marched boldly into the CCP’s den? What does that tell you right there?)

...and to launch the 40th anniversary celebrations with our sister-state Jiangsu.
(hmm, what’s up with all this sister-state stuff? let’s have a look at that later...)

My travel aligns with Victorian Government priorities to cement Victoria’s reputation as China’s gateway to Australia,...
(Yeah-no - just before we pour the China gateway cement Dan, can we go through the details of this gateway deal you’ve single-handedly, literally, signed Australia up to?)

...and demonstrates our commitment to strengthening the mutually beneficial relationship with our largest trading partner.
(So, to be clear, showing support for humans having their rights trampled (e.g. Hong Kong-Xinjiang-Tibet) by a totalitarian regime that read 1984 and thought it was a ‘how to’ manual - would be mutually beneficial going forward - or not so much?)

This was also my first official visit to China since (last year) signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with China’s National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) to cooperate on the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI),...
(heroically visited, we should add, against a Cat-5 head-wind of warnings to: Don’t do that.)

...providing opportunities to discuss (great politico-speak for ‘negotiating shady deals’)

...how this can be leveraged to the greatest benefit to Victoria.
(‘leverage’ - that’s an interesting choice of word - wonder if the CCP is thinking how Dan Andrews can be leveraged for the greatest benefit to the CCP?)

Great picture from Lisa Tucker - good composition
[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread