WHO bans Taiwanese journalists (General)

by dan, Sunday, May 29, 2022, 15:20 (700 days ago) @ dulan drift

I could not have stated it better.

The WHO, it appears, is positioning itself for a major power grab, which of course will include a massive influx of funds. That would be money you and I pay in taxes.

I'm still trying to find the precise langauge of any resolutions that were passed this weekend.

(THIS POSTING IS INTERRUPTED FOR EMERGENCY MESSAGE FROM NERV. Japan has this earthquake reporting app called NERV. When an earthquake happens, you get an alert, and, get this, it tells you precisely when the shock will hit you. It fucking works. I just got one and it the quake was so far away that it wasn't noticeable. But a few weeks ago I was in my office and got one, and the tiny jolt hit exactly according to the app. It has a timer that tells you it will hit in 5, 4, 3, 2,... 1. And it hits. Amazing. I think it even goes to tenths of hundredths of seconds.)

Anyway, here are a few excerpts from the Reuters rabbit hole:

First steps in reforming global health emergency rules adopted at WHO meeting

The changes sought by Washington, and backed by others such as Japan and the European Union, mark a first step in a broader reform of the IHR, which set out countries' legal obligations around disease outbreaks...

Something about the use of legal obligations here bothers me. So, the WHO will have the power to define international legal obligations? Who gave them that authority? Oh, wait, WHO gave themselves that authority!

First steps in reforming global health emergency rules agreed at WHO meeting

The amendments, once confirmed by the World Health Organization (WHO) assembly, are one of a handful of concrete outcomes from a meeting seen as a once-in-a-generation chance for the U.N. health agency to strengthen its role following some 15 million deaths during the COVID-19 pandemic.

That's it's goal, to strengthen it's role, a euphemism for seizing more power.

Other U.S. proposals yet to be negotiated by the WHO's 194 members include the possible deployment of expert teams to contamination sites and the creation of a new compliance committee to monitor the rules' future implementation.

So, experts chosen by the WHO will go to countries to monitor compliance. I think I'm writing a fiction novel about this shit.

Africa objects to U.S. push to reform health rules at WHO assembly

The IHR set out WHO members' legally binding obligations around outbreaks. The United States has proposed 13 IHR reforms which seek to authorise the deployment of expert teams to contamination sites and the creation of a new compliance committee to monitor implementation of the rules.

That's just scary shit. Who is giving them this authority? Oh, we've already answered that question.

WHO chief says it must take central role in global health

The title says it all. Full stop.

The head of the World Health Organization said on Monday that it must be "at the centre" of a global healthcare system...

At the center is a euphemism for having complete control. An unelected body wants to control the world health care system. That's not good.

"We need a stronger and sustainably financed WHO, at the centre of the global health security architecture," Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a major speech at the WHO's annual assembly.

No, we don't. We don't need that and I don't want you to take my money.

World in no better place to fight pandemics than before COVID - review

LONDON, May 18 (Reuters) - The world is no better prepared for a new pandemic than it was when coronavirus emerged in 2019 and may actually be in a worse place given the economic toll, according to a panel set up by the World Health Organization (WHO) to evaluate the global response.

A lack of progress on reforms such as international health regulations means the world is as vulnerable as ever, the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response said in its report.

So, let's get this straight. The world is fucked because you're not powerful enough. But if we make progress on reforms, which means giving you more money and power, then we'll be better off. No, I disagree.

The authors, led by former New Zealand prime minister Helen Clark and former president of Liberia Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, acknowledged some progress, including on more robust funding for the WHO, but said the process was going far too slowly.

There's the F word again. Well, you have to pay for those fancy international meetings somehow.

Money and power.

G20 agrees to set up global pandemic preparedness fund

Speaking on Wednesday, World Bank President David Malpass said there was "growing support" for the fund and the body would work with WHO and other partners on its establishment.

OK, well, since I'll be paying for this in part, when do I get my say?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread