Splintering of the Internet (General)

by dan, Friday, January 22, 2021, 19:38 (1190 days ago) @ dulan drift

But there's a helluva lot of stuff that doesn't really hurt anyone that still gets the full cancel-culture treatment. This is where big-tech appears to be heading - 'We believe in free speech - so long as you don't say anything that we disagree with.'

Noted, but this is where technology may step in. Censorship is now possible because all major platforms are centralized, i.e., there is a gatekeeper. Decentralized technologies will remove the gatekeeper, to an extent. The highest level gatekeeper is the ISP, not the platform like Twitter. People connect to the Internet via an ISP, so they are the highest level gatekeeper, right now.

China enacts gatekeeping via the ISP level. Western countries haven't gone there yet, at least not explicitly.

But the IPFS and blockchain models are major gamechangers. IPFS, as it exists now, will likely die out, but something will replace it. Blockchain tech is absolutely going nowhere. It is the future. The old (current) model of databases on servers is so clearly inferior to what decentralized data structures provide NOW that it's just not a guessing game. This is why all the big banks and old school companies like IBM are getting into it, albeit quietly.

These technologies are going to leapfrog Twitter, Facebook, etc. Check out SOLID and Ethereum

So there is a lot on the horizon happening. This is an incredibly exciting time in technology. We are on the brink of something as big as the beginning of the Internet. I believe that. The entire Internet is based on centralized servers and data. That is being disrupted right now. I keep telling my high school students that they'd better start learning about this stuff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread