Sunburst Cyber-attack (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 06:47 (1193 days ago) @ dulan drift

This could be the 'cyber-attack of the century'. It penetrated government departments, major corporations and even cyber-security firms.

"Prof Alan Woodward, a cyber-security researcher at the University of Surrey, says: "Post Cold War, this is one of the potentially largest penetrations of Western governments that I'm aware of."

The funny thing is that it was so simple the way they did it. Forget about going after all these heavily fortified entities individually with their mega-security budgets - just hack the company that supplies them with software - then wait for them to upload it!

As the articles point out - it's not an 'in and out' disruption thing - the consequences are unknown and will reverberate years into the future.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-30/sunburst-cyber-hack-solarwinds-software-cybersec...

PS. I had to 'hack' my way past the spam filter to get this post up - seems it picked up something it didn't like.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread