Cyber-attack Taiwan Health Service (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 08:58 (1412 days ago) @ dulan drift

The thing about a Data War is that the internet is a global phenomenon - it's not limited by country borders. When people talk about the threat of globalism - it's only the internet that can enable the worst case scenario of a worldwide big-brother command centre. A key to that would be access to everyone's physical location at any given time.

In the case of the tracking apps being introduced in the name of the virus, even if a country like NZ, which may have the best of intentions, that data is still vulnerable to being hacked by another country which may not have the best of intentions.

If i'm a CCP higher up for example then I'm going to:

(a) recognize that the internet and data mining is not going out of style in the near future
(b) collect as much of that data as possible through whatever means i can
(c) use it to consolidate my own position in power and track any threats to that power

An example of that, was reported in the Taipei Times today:

"An initial probe found that the hackers used Internet protocol addresses registered in Europe as springboards to implant backdoor programs and malware into servers at Taiwan’s health agencies, medical research centers and Centers for Disease Control offices to steal critical information and files, they said."

The article states that the "National Security Bureau officials yesterday identified the sources of the cyberattacks as China and Russia."

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread