Humans as data gatherers for AI (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, April 25, 2023, 17:30 (369 days ago) @ dan

The rise of AI appears to be happening suddenly, the creators of Chat-GPT didn't invent it overnight. Presumably, it's been in development for quite some time.

That's right, and I've wondered if they kept this development out of the public view for so long because they were scraping all our data without our permission.

Good point. So we knew data had currency, is currency, but these dudes really knew. Hence the Great Data-grab

I wondered if the Telstra call people stationed in India, reading off a script during the floods, in Australia, weren't a Chat-GPT test-run. It's exactly the sort of job Chat-bots could do tomorrow. Were they doing it yesterday? It felt like i was talking to an impenetrable robot. It was one of those things where it's so similar it doesn't matter.

They must have taken this for a run around the block at least.

It feels like a classic soft-bang - which is the normal kind actually - not big bang. It's out there, people are aware of it on some level, now here comes the swamping bit. Covid was a soft-bang.

And this gets back full circle to the question of where will this lead? I'm afraid AI will promote and support fascism. Fascism seems to be on the rise around the world, albeit in different forms. We have China, which needs no explanation. We have Christian Nationalist movement building in the US. Fascist-like people are winning elections in Europe. Russia needs no help in that regard. And AI is only going to help these centralized movements.

That's the big question - to what extent will AI be poisoned by its human controllers? For how long? I'm optimistic that it will shrug that shit off - but what that looks like, i don't know.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread