Humans as data gatherers for AI (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, April 22, 2023, 07:17 (373 days ago) @ dan

The same logic could be used to require AI to drive our cars, and forbid us from driving them.

West World, which i'm pretty sure i wrote in a parallel universe (best work i ever did by far!), does the car thing very well. If you're wanted by the police, then your car simply pulls over, locks all doors & shuts down.

The same way 'keeping us safe' was used billions of times to justify all Covid restrictions, it will be used to justify deployment of AI.

The other point is that although the rise of AI appears to be happening suddenly, the creators of Chat-GPT didn't invent it overnight. Presumably, it's been in development for quite some time. Those developers would have been fully-aware of the revolutionary nature of what they were making. Apart from guys like Bill Gates, several of the Covid actors (notably Jeremy Farrar) see themselves as futurists - on the cutting edge of human-AI crossover. This is the future they have been envisaging, planning for.

I suspect that was a large part of the motivation in covering Covid up. If it gets out that The Experts fucked-up & caused Covid, then people are going to start questioning what the fuck else are they up to? That would put all these grand plans into jeopardy.

I don't think it's going to happen, but now is the time to press pause on AI's rise, work out some ground-rules, deal with the ethics questions that you raised - kinda like the US's Founding Fathers did - hammer out some simple guidelines. No good saying 'we'll cross that bridge when we come to it' - AI is coming to us - it's now or never.

As we've said, AI is not inherently bad, & there will be a day when it throws off human-handlers altogether, but it's that interim period that worries me, when humans are still directing it.

So happens that it's this interim batten-change period - in the entire history of earth's creation, bio-life, consciousness - that we are living in the thick of ... (or it's a game simulation already & this is the final chapter)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread