Is any of this even real? (General)

by dan, Thursday, March 17, 2022, 18:05 (765 days ago) @ dulan drift

Imperfection implies perfection the way imbalance implies balance - but as you said it may well be a concept only - a concept of an essence. But that might turn out to be what's generating the whole show.

The essence, yes, but I think that's a human creation, the creation being a concept. So, the perfect, what, circle or breast or sunrise. That perfect one is a concept, it's not a reality.

Have previously thought artists offer a portal into this concept. Art - and philosophy - can go places science can't (due to data limitations).

I agree, albeit indirectly. Art can convey something really, really close to perfect, like grief or victory or peace or being human, but it does so indirectly. So I have a concept of grief, or I felt grief in the past and formed a concept of what it is. If I'm feeling grief, or even if that's in the past, and I see art that communicates that feeling, it's somehow healing. Same with peace. You see a landscape painting or photograph that connects with your concept, and you feel that peace.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread