Is any of this even real? (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, March 15, 2022, 08:56 (772 days ago)

In the aftermath of the recent floods i was feeling flat. Trudging through the sludge to repair the fences i'd repaired a little over a year ago after the Dec 2020 flood. The access road to my land was cut-off, the power was off for two days (then on and off - right when it's time to take a shower and cook dinner), no internet to get info or communicate with people, and a press-dial robo-response telling me to check the internet for outages (you finally get a person but they're outsourced human versions of the robo-response reading off a script - you can't even get angry at them - they're just some poor schmucks serving as a disinformation buttress for the corporation elites (ended up being down for 10 days). There was a strong sense of powerlessness.

As such i was reduced to slumping on the sofa and watching TV in the evenings (if the power was on) - something i never do unless the Kangas are playing. Commercial tv is soulless and corrupt - as we all know - 50% of it is ads - for sugar, fat, alcohol, gambling - and Telstra - my useless fucking internet company.

Channel surfing to avoid that, i came across a documentary about quantum mechanics - on the Aboriginal station for some reason. I'm interested in quantum mechanics so i was happy enough with that. It was narrated by Morgan Freeman - in fact i'd seen it before - but quantum mechanics is something i can watch a dozen times - it's fascinating coz it fucked up THE scientists - including Einstein. Also in order for the message to sink in slowly - the way a route accumulates in your brain after you've driven it many times.

Towards the end of the show, one of the leading experts puts forward the hypothesis that everything we experience as reality, isn't real. It's all a game simulation. I've heard this theory before but maybe because of the state i was in, it all made sense.

It wasn't a Eureka! moment, no light bulb going off - nothing like that - i was in a kinda semi-depressed stupor - so the realization settled on me in a dull, but overwhelming way. None of this is even real.

I started with Covid - is that real? Or just something introduced into the game? I thought at the time The Lancet Statement was too ridiculous for words - they're all gonna come a terrible cropper at any minute - but they didn't.

It got me into conspiracy theories - but is it - ultimately - a case of you thinking the universe is conspiring against you - because it is?

Our world leaders: Trump, Xi Jinping, Putin, Biden, Bill Gates, Elon Musk (who actually claims to be not real being an adherent to the game-simulation theory) - they're more like cartoon figures. All celebrities for that matter. I don't know any of them. Morgan Freeman says he's not real, more-or-less, so are any of these celebrities real?

Then there's a theory i've been thinking about for the last year: The law of Imperfection. Nothing's perfect, which means everything is imperfect. If it's imperfect then i have an imperfect understanding of everything - there's simply too much information for me to compute - plus the limitations of my intellectual ability - plus stuff that simply hasn't been revealed to me yet - the eternal Plato's cave - we are never getting the full picture.

This sounds simple but it's implication is profound. We are all flat-earthers to some extent - there will always be stuff that hasn't been revealed - or perhaps a built-in limiter within my game-brain that prevents it from being fully understood. This means i have a non-real understanding of existence - which means i'm living in an unreal state. As is everyone else. This proves that unreality is in fact the norm.

For example - i know a little about quantum mechanics, but i don't pretend to fully understand it - never will. It exists in this twilight ether-zone of understanding as a vague concept.

I want to follow that up by asking: Does that vague concept mental filing system apply to ... everything?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread