What War would look like (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, November 06, 2023, 12:19 (173 days ago) @ dulan drift

Ever since the internet went out here for 11 days during the floods, it's opened my eyes to the reality of what a modern war would look like.

First thing that would happen is the internet would go out. Initially, you wouldn't even know why it had gone out - that a war had started! - coz you wouldn't be able to check the internet to find out.

The internet is ridiculously vulnerable considering how much we rely on it. All an enemy would need to do would be take out a few key towers or other crucial infrastructure. You could build new ones, but then you'd just take them out. It's quite feasible that the internet would be out for the entirety of any war.

There's a push toward satellite internet - it's on my 'to do list'. That would be the only internet - which does give those who control that space space a vested interest in a crisis - that would see them holding all the cards. Then again, you can shoot down satellites now, can't you? Are we on the cusp of Star Wars?

The other big one is electricity. Actually, the two are entwined. Without electricity, you don't have your devices - without the internet/AI to run it, you don't have your grid.

Power is also a sitting-duck target - easy to blow-up integral infrastructure - or if you wanna be fancy, hack into the system with your cyber-spy-tech. Either way, you could turn that shit off.
How devastating would that be? I came across this:

Epoch Times: Testifying before the U.S. Senate in 2015, former CIA Director James Woolsey was asked what would happen to Americans if the electric grid went down for an extended period.

“There are essentially two estimates on how many people would die from hunger, from starvation, from lack of water, and from social disruption," he said.

“One estimate is that within a year or so, two-thirds of the United States population would die. The other estimate is that within a year or so, 90 percent of the U.S. population would die.”

I remember once Dan i won a beer off you over a bet on a looming typhoon's impact where you predicted the electricity grid would be smashed & there'd be at least one act of cannibalism in Dulan within three months. Although you were mostly kidding, there's a frightening element of truth to it.

Moral of the story? Get off the grid. Though how you'd defend your land against the starving hordes from the city, i don't know.

Disclaimer: The above is a good reason why such a war probably won't happen - it's not in the interests of those ORG-GODS running the show. If you're relying on the masses to fuel your gravy train - don't wanna be taking most of em out. Covid got it about right - but 2/3rds to 90% - that's too many.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread