Australia Heatwave Jan 2019 (General)

by dan, Saturday, January 19, 2019, 15:54 (1917 days ago) @ dulan drift

"Can you see a 'trigger event' that may force a committed reaction?"

I can't, I mean not any more than what we've already had. I think we're already well past the point of no return, and that what it will come down to, in addition to switching to renewable energies, is developing technologies to not just stop the progression of global warming, but to actually reverse it.

But I don't think it will be a single event that triggers this. Whole towns burning down doesn't frighten people enough. I think it will take the very wealthy and powerful to feel really threatened. I mean, they don't care now if some hillbillies lose their lives or homes. When Manhattan starts taking on water, maybe then. Democracy isn't going to fix it. We had agreements and votes, and then... nothing. One dickhead in power or another will just nix the agreement of the day.

So it will come down to, when it gets bad enough, finding the technology to reverse it. Now the discussion is about stopping the cause of the damage, and that will be part of it, but it won't be enough. They'll (because we'll be gone by then) have to engineer climate change in their favor, which means messing with the atmosphere. That's what will happen next I'm guessing.

Or they could build big bubbles, or move underground. I'm just happy to have had the opportunity to live on and enjoy this beautiful planet before we started messing it up too much.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread