South meets north - Mei yu pt 2- June10 deluge (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, June 15, 2012, 14:01 (4332 days ago) @ dan

When i looked at the sat map this morning it did seem to have cleaned up quite a lot so i went down to the the bei nan river to get some driftwood (a lot there by the way). For the first five minutes, there was just a bit of drizzle, but then it settled in again. In fact looking at it again after i got back, i think it might be our turn today to cop it. The system seems to be feeding straight into us while other parts of the island are relatively dry.

[image]

Contrary to what i thought previously, the weather doesn't seem to happen on the actual front, but rather, if you campare the radar with weather map, a couple of hundred km's from its leading edge (eastern in this case) - either that or CWB has drawn the front in the wrong place, which is also a distinct possibility.

Anyway, you can see the mechanics of the thing quite clearly. This big stationary low to the south west feeding moisture up through the stationary mei yu front. The result: a week long deluge across Taiwan. Interestingly, the front has retreated back to the west somewhat and is still showing no signs of breaking up and receding to the north as it was forecast to do. Not sure what implications that has for the typhoon.
[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread