nCov (General)

by dan, Friday, March 27, 2020, 13:50 (1453 days ago) @ dulan drift

I still struggle to understand why the world has got a raging boner for corona virus while many more serious problems are ignored

I think there are two things going on. Assuming Germany is treating those with the virus earlier than other countries that don't test as much, it could mean that early intervention brings down the mortality rate. Without that health intervention, the rate might have been higher.

I think the panic is based on the assumption that if this virus were not to be slowed down, it would completely overwhelm health care systems leading to a much higher mortality rate because people who do get it bad couldn't get health care. Couple that with the fact that the majority of the people in the world will get this eventually, and you can imagine a gruesome scene. At least that's the narrative I've been hearing. And yet, you're right, so many more people will die in the next 3 months from completely preventable causes and nothing's being done about that.

I think I may have had it already in mid February. At the time, it was just hitting Hokkaido, and I didn't even consider that the chest cold I had, which included shortness of breath, dry cough, low fever, etc., would have been corona, but it very well may have been.

I've been wondering when the economic pain is going to overtake the fear of the virus. Hunger will drive people out of their homes eventually.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread