Australia Bushfire Season 2019-20 (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, November 09, 2019, 05:40 (1630 days ago) @ dan

Although i can see one of the fires from here, the one pictured below, there's no immediate danger. It's about 10-15 km from where i live. (The photo was from a coastal city a few 100 k's south of here)

It's in the heart of a National Park, which means it won't be a priority for firefighters who will be concentrating on fires threatening private property. The winds (20-30kph) have changed to the south-west and are swinging around to the south-east which would project the fire towards the north west - away from me. It's much cooler than yesterday.

Nightcap NP is a rainforest, which rarely catch on fire, but we're in rare times. Hasn't rained properly for several months and temps are way above ave.

The concern would be for Tuesday when temps are forecast to heat up again plus big north-westerlies up to 45kph. The only thing that will put it out is sustained rain - but nothing is forecast.

There are a lot worse fires going in the state but will monitor this one as a kind of case study.
Judging by the map, it appears to have spotted in at least 2 places. Went from 1 hectare when first reported to 170 hectares by nightfall. Hard to know how it started - possibly an old lightning strike that has smouldered away

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread