Taiwan Defense official - China spy ring (General)

by dan, Thursday, July 29, 2021, 14:19 (974 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is an aspect that worries me. The military in Taiwan has traditionally been a KMT stronghold - for sure China would have used that to foster connections with high ranking officers - do they have any of them in their pocket?

There was a story a few years ago predicting a 3-day capitulation in the event of an invasion due to certain Taiwanese generals with questionable affiliations. Hopefully they've weeded them out since then.

That's always been a question I've had as well. With the history of the Taiwan military being pro-China, culturally speaking at least, how would a conflict play out?

Or is the military culture slowly changing?

Nearly 30 years ago I was teaching English to officers on a military base in Taiwan, and I remember one officer making the comment in class that if Taiwan ever claimed independence, he'd fight for China. I wasn't shocked that he felt that way, knowing that the military was pro-China, but I was that he had the confidence to make such a bold statement publicly, in class, on a military base. Clearly he had no fear of punishment, implying that it was the expected, or at least accepted, view among officers and in the military generally at the time.

But that was a long time ago, and a lot has happened since then, so I sort of assume, or hope at least, that Taiwan's military would actually defend Taiwan.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread