UK to permanently deploy two warships in Asia Pacific (General)

by dan, Thursday, July 22, 2021, 19:06 (1009 days ago) @ dulan drift

Does have that clock-ticking feel to it as well.

It's a weird dynamic. On the one hand, it pushes the clock forward in that it escalates, on the other it pushes it back as it gives reason for pause, by China that is.

You wonder how long you'd have to react if China made a move.

All depends on what move. I'm beginning to think this raises the stakes that China will start something geographically removed from Taiwan to sap resources from the US and its allies. It might be an escalation on disputed islands, or somewhere else in the world. Or, this might play out entirely on a proxy location. No doubt they're calculating their moves. China is predicted to grow at 8% this year. They can do whatever the fuck they want.

From China's point of view they'd nearly have to take out any aircraft carriers in the area first to increase the chance of a successful invasion - as well as hit bases in Japan.

Or have those resources distracted. They don't need to destroy them, just make them impotent with regards to defending Taiwan.

I'm assuming the main invasion of Taiwan would come straight across the strait onto the west coast?

Southwest coast, and they'd hit the air bases in Hsinchu first, along with all communications everywhere. They also seem to have an interest in the north/northeast coast. I'm guessing a two-pronged attack on Taipei, if needed, but how do they land? Not hospitable coasts in that area. So maybe they're looking at Keelung as possible access for deployment to Taipei.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread