Can China be stopped? (General)

by dan, Wednesday, June 16, 2021, 15:24 (1043 days ago) @ dulan drift

China Sends A Record 28 Military Planes Into Airspace Controlled By Taiwan

This is quite literally an escalation. This wasn't just a slight, momentary invasion of air space. They went about half way around Taiwan then went back on the same route.

The latest flights included 20 Chinese fighter jets, four H-6 bombers (a variant of which is nuclear capable), several early warning planes and an anti-submarine aircraft, according to Taiwan's defense ministry.

A defense ministry graphic showed that the planes followed a similar route to previous flights, flying to the southeast between the southern tip Taiwan and the Pratas Islands, which Taipei controls. Some then turned northeast, flying on the far side of the island before backtracking and heading home.

I notice that they always approach the southwest of Taiwan. I'm guessing that's because the coast in that region is more hospitable to invasion. It could also be because Taiwan has a major military presence in Pingtung. Hsinchu, I believe, is the closest point of Taiwan (aside from outlying islands) to China, but the coast is gnarly.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread