'No Consensus' Limbo (General)

by dan, Friday, March 03, 2023, 17:45 (419 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is not over until there is justice.

PS: In some ways i don't really blame the CCP - they were only doing what they normally do - it's all the world's leading experts who knowingly lied to protect this totalitarian regime that must be held responsible.

What shocks me more about this is the same thing that bothered me about the initial public discourse about the origins, and that is that it was and is nonexistent. Even after this story broke, we have nearly zero serious public debate on this. People stand by their beliefs. It's from an animal, end of discussion. It's from a lab, end of discussion.

IMO, the #1 strength of a free society is the open sharing of ideas and information, and educated debate on such topics. This isn't happening at all. The Internet, at one time, held promise for such a forum, but clearly that media has tanked. Could it be we are incapable, as a species, of using logic and discussion to reach a consensus on a topic important to all?

And if, given all these profoundly powerful technical tools that allow us to instantaneously share information and communication, if after having all this at our disposal we are still not able to figure out even relatively simple problems (relative to the danger they hold for the species), then what does that say about us? And what is stopping us from getting there?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread