2023 - The year ahead (General)

by dan, Tuesday, January 03, 2023, 14:45 (479 days ago) @ dulan drift

Typhoons: Watch out for a big one this year (or next) in Taitung - it's 7 years since Nepartak (2016) - which was 9 years after Sepat (2007) - which was 7 years after Bilis (2000) ...

Good observation!

World economy. If it's going to crash n burn, this will be the year. If you're already rich, relax, but poor to medium people are in for a rough ride.

I think things will certainly get worse in 23 than they were in 22, but it could go on for years. The US is trapped by its own deficit. It has no choice but to keep printing money in order to finance its debt, and so it will. The question I have is, when is the US dollar going to collapse? Or can it? When will that house of cards fall? It's a bizarre situation. The US will print even more in an effort to buy its way out of the coming recession, but that will only fuel inflation and sink the US deeper into debt. I don't see any rosy ending here.

War in Taiwan: Reasonable chance it could be this year - perhaps triggered by above economic turmoil

Indeed. And notice how North Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, and the US are all engaging in a military buildup. The fact that Japan is now getting more aggressive about building its forces is notable, and the same goes for Taiwan. This will only spur China and North Korea to increase their buildup, "exponentially" as N. Korea put it. Throw into that mix a sinking world economy, and things start to look dicey.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread