6 months later (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, October 01, 2021, 06:53 (932 days ago) @ dan

Sampled the first bottle at about 4-5 months when i did the bottling (siphoned into clean bottle with an airtight lid). Initial taste was good but something a bit nasty in the after-taste. Mixed in some more honey and chamomile tea which improved the flavour - so then let it brew another month in the bottle.

WARNING: Don't do that. It's stupid. The extra honey sets of the fermentation process again. Without the water filled air stopper that allows gas out, it was pure good luck that the bottle didn't explode.

A month later, you could feel the tremendous pressure in the bottle with this huge 'pop' when i flipped the lid open. Looked pretty cool though with the gas vapour rising up - like a witch's brew. The other thing was that extra honey seemed to 'champagne' it coz it was bubbly.

Later read that you can get that effect deliberately but need corks that can breathe - not airtight seals.

Bottled the other four bottles without adding honey - though did add chamomile tea which i mixed up first in boiled water, allowed to cool. Chamomile seems to smooth out the after-taste. Threw away the fruit and other ingredients.

Verdict:

• Pulls its weight as an alcohol - can say that for starters. I'd say stronger than wine - caught me out a couple of times. I'm not a big drinker so started to pour half a glass then fill the glass with water. Still packs a punch.
  • Taste is pretty good! Almost a brandy flavour. Any sharpness seems to lessen after it 'breathes' a little and chamomile helped.
  • Next time i will experiment with other herbal teas.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread