Optus Coughs? (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, November 11, 2022, 19:17 (524 days ago) @ dan

I liked that bit at the end of the 9 News: report, "Optus says it's happy to work with investigators."

Well no doubt! And no doubt the investigators are happy to work with Optus! Those perks must be sweet.

Interestingly, in the media now, it's like the Optus hack never happened. We can deduce they paid. There was message from the hackers saying:

Too many eyes. We will not sale data to anyone. We cant if we even want to: personally deleted data from drive (Only copy)

Sorry too 10.200 Australian whos data was leaked.

Deepest apology to Optus for this. Hope all goes well from this.

Ransom not payed but we dont care any more. Was mistake to scrape publish data in first place.

Yeah, right. A cyber-crim hits the jackpot, then, holding all the cards, suddenly has a moral epiphany ...

The ransom was quite reasonable - only US$1mil - nothing to a big Telco. The media is continuing on from their Covid run by not reporting it - it's all about Medibank and refusing to negotiate with The Criminal - who's now been named as Russian. I bet if it was China they wouldn't say boo, but it's easy to vilify Russia at the moment.

AFP (Feds): We know who you are and the AFP has some significant runs on the scoreboard when it comes to bringing overseas offenders back to Australia to face the justice system.

We'll see. I'll be most surprised if Putin hands over any hackers of Aus/western data. Especially if it includes the PM's entire health record. How much is that worth on the open market? It's a absurd to be saying that just coz Medibank won't pay that nobody else will. It doesn't de-incentivize anything.

Medibank CEO: We expect the criminal to continue to release stolen customer data each day. The relentless nature of this tactic being used by the criminal is designed to cause distress and harm.

All made possible by your lack of concern for the security of your customers' data. You still don't give a shit.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread