CWB sounds quake alert for mid-SW Taiwan (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, September 22, 2022, 10:59 (581 days ago) @ dan

That's too bad. I thought about them after those earthquakes, but of course I wondered how much beer they lost! I imagined lots of broken bottles and such. It didn't occur to me that the building might have partially collapsed, but in fact that's been my experience -- un-reinforced brick structures do not do well in earthquakes.

In fact, i think most of the beer survived! But it was that brickwork which must have been ready to go.

Although it was a 6.4, which is very decent, it did occur in the Rift Valley. I think mountain ranges, in this case the coastal range, do provide some protection if they're between you and the epicentre. Apart from their bar, it seems Dulan was relatively ok.

The one we had in 2016 was smaller, but the epicentre was pretty much right under my house. That seemed to cause more general damage in the area - though didn't bring the bar's wall down - so go figure ... Guess it's one of those accumulation things.

Sugar Factory is a heritage-listed building, which further complicates getting repairs done. You'd also wonder if that huge chimney right next to the bar could topple.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread