Researcher sounds quake alert fo SW Taiwan (General)

by dan, Tuesday, September 20, 2022, 19:28 (584 days ago) @ dulan drift

The researcher also pointed out an unusual phenomenon that he believes may be a precursor to a large earthquake, wrote the Environmental Information Center. The drop in groundwater levels in Taitung was detected in June this year, while similar signs were recorded in Changhua, Yunlin, and Nantou prior to the devastating Jiji quake that hit central Taiwan on Sept. 21 of 1999.
[/i]

It's not entirely clear if they've already observed a drop in water-levels in the central-south west - did he point it out as something to watch for ... or something that has already happened ...?

Very interesting. I see what you mean. They say the observed drop in groundwater was in Taitung, which normally isn't considered souch-central Taiwan unless you're referring to the far western parts of the county, and even then it's a stretch.

Perhaps that's just the location of the most recent relevant measurements made. I do know that all the fish ponds in southern Taiwan are responsible for draining the groundwater, and that raises the question of whether the overuse of groundwater for aquaculture could contribute to earthquakes.

Or maybe they discount groundwater measurements in southern Taiwan because they know they are artificially affected by aquaculture while those in Taitung county would more closely reflect natural changes.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread