Bill Gates - Global Covid Security (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, May 02, 2022, 18:34 (696 days ago)

Gates: Health security was already a big priority at the MSC in pre-COVID times, but this year’s conference underlined how much global health is now rightfully seen as a serious national and global security issue. It’s clearer than ever that investing in health R&D, disease surveillance, and strong health systems is critical to keeping people safe, wherever they live in the world

Not my bold believe it or not.

Gates: In Munich, I took part in a panel discussion that included the foreign ministers of Canada and Sweden, the CEO of the Crisis Group, and remarks from Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of World Health Organization. These leaders hit on the same themes I heard from many others I talked with on this trip—themes I’ve given a lot of thought to while writing a book about how to prevent the next pandemic.

Meanwhile, COVID continues to exacerbate existing inequities—something we’ll feel the effects of for years to come.

We'll feel? I guess we will, but you'll be feeling the plus-side of the inequity, right? (back to my bold)

The Global Fund’s partnerships with countries enabled community health workers who go door to door to detect, diagnose, and report fevers as malaria or COVID. Along the same lines, organizations like the Coalition for Epidemic Preparedness Innovations, which accelerates work on vaccines for infectious diseases, and Gavi, which has immunized nearly 1 billion children since 2000, have been key partners in developing and distributing COVID vaccines.

Which nobody in Africa seems to want - vax rates are around 10-15%. The drug companies tell you their product wears off after a few months - so currently protected ? 5%? Why is it vaccines or nothing?

Unfortunately, this isn’t a simple success story. We’ve also seen increases in cases and deaths from malaria, HIV, and tuberculosis for the first time in 20 years because of COVID. But the backsliding was not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Rubbish. The backsliding in Malaria is due to the known process of the disease evading malaria vaccines.

I’m optimistic about the future. We have learned so much from COVID, and the innovations have been tremendous. Talking to public health leaders in Munich and Islamabad, it’s clear that long-term funding for global health—including investments in proven initiatives like GPEI, Global Fund, and CEPI — helped save millions of lives during this pandemic. Just think: It took less than a year after the virus emerged to develop a vaccine against it. I believe we’ll do even better next time and can deliver them to everyone within six months of an outbreak if we build enough global capacity.

That's pretty close to the opposite of what the world would need to do in order to avoid the next one. Dan had some concerns about the rushed one-year approval - now it's 6-mths - tomorrow - 24 hrs - complete with mandates of course.

When it comes to COVID, we’re not out of the woods yet, because the virus is still mutating. At the same time, the pandemic is evolving

Which is exactly how bio-state likes it - evolving - we've introduced all these freedom reductions due to Covid - can't give a clear time-frame when you might get em back - who knows? it's evolving ...

We should, above all, approach this work with a greater focus on improving inequities by understanding that investments in global health and pandemic prevention are critical security issues. And they’re mutually reinforcing.

I'm impressed by how openly these guys are going for it. Full cover-up of the fact we caused this disease in the first place - now pressing on with the global security grab.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread