Taiwan Insects (Insects)

by dan, Thursday, October 13, 2011, 08:27 (4570 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is a good topic. I'm constantly amazed at the variety of insects here. I see news ones if not daily, at least weekly. My problem is that I don't have a digital camera good enough to take worthwhile pictures.

Lately, we've had some fantastic moths taking up residence on our screen door. Absolutely beautiful creatures. And the beetles are fantastic. I just saw a new one this morning, a tiny guy that looked like a grape.

There are three insects that I kill: the 'scorpion', the giant centipedes (especially when they're in the kitchen), and some thing I've yet to identify but that looks like a cross between a huge cockroach and gargantuan cricket. I do also kill the common giant cockroaches in the house, but now we're getting into the mundane.

I don't know if what people call scorpions are actual scorpions, but they do look like them, albeit black. I killed the one below at least three days ago, nights rather as that's when they come out. When it was still among the living, the dogs wouldn't go near it. Three days later, the ants won't even touch it. The ants will devour most any dead insect in minutes.

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread