Usagi Driftwood (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, September 27, 2013, 11:18 (3857 days ago)

Have been scouring the coast for driftwood this week and it's interesting to see where it has washed up - and where it hasn't.

Xing Chang windsurfing beach: stacks of huge logs, but strangely, not that much smaller stuff
Long Chang: nothing much
Shan Yuan: : lots of big logs - and the hotel's buried construction rubble. hotel has cleaned away most of the stuff in front of hotel but still lots on southern end of beach.
Just north of Bei Nan River: This is almost marokot-esque. Stacks of driftwood coating the coast here - about 30 metres wide all along this section of the coast. Includes lots of prime wood, and plenty of hinoki. Nearly all the wood around here has washed down the Bei Nan River and then heads north on the black current.

Legality: Technically, you are not supposed to collect driftwood until a month after typhoon, and then only what you can carry by hand. However, as with lots of things in Taiwan, there is the law, and then there is general practice. At the site near the Bei Nan, there are about 30-40 people collecting wood at any given time during the day and they seem to be operating with impunity. However, at Xing Chang, people from the foresty bureau have been strictly patrolling the beach. Supposedly, there are steep fines if you get caught.

Usagi Driftwood

by dan, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 16:32 (3856 days ago) @ dulan drift

I'm curious. What is the reason for not allowing the collection of driftwood until a month after a typhoon? I can see a few days for safety (may be some lingering large waves), but a month?

Usagi Driftwood

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, September 28, 2013, 18:22 (3856 days ago) @ dan

I am only guessing, but think that's the period that officially sanctioned companies can have exclusive access. Anyway, it's not really working - the site up near the Bei Nan was crawling with people - nice atmosphere actually - people in good moods and helping each other out - lots of Amis language being spoken - the sweet smell of hinoki in the air...

RSS Feed of thread