Active August (Weather)

by dan, Friday, August 16, 2013, 12:14 (3916 days ago)

It looks like this low forming just off our coast could become something with more in the pipeline.

[image]

[image]

Active August

by dan, Friday, August 16, 2013, 15:46 (3916 days ago) @ dan

This low off the east coast is drifting south east. How odd is that for this time of year? And the Taiwan CWB charts have it just sort of hanging out for a few days, without any real direction. With the other low to the east of this one, it looks like there's a possibility of them combining. It looks like somebody is going to get hit with some heavy rain out of this emerging system.

[image]
[image]
[image]

Active August

by dan, Friday, August 16, 2013, 21:43 (3915 days ago) @ dan

How strange. It's moving EAST. Both lows are. I've never seen that before. They will sometimes do a loopdiloop after hitting land, but this one is running in circles over open water. Updated CWB charts having it becoming a TD and hitting the NE coast in a few days. It's clearly staying in open waters and building steam. The Japan Meteorological Agency has it tracking NEE over the next few hours (last pic).

[image]

[image]

[image]

Active August

by dan, Saturday, August 17, 2013, 15:16 (3915 days ago) @ dan

This is getting more unusual by the hour. The models have these two storms converging over northern Taiwan on Friday the 22nd.

[image]
[image]
[image]

Active August

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 11:30 (3914 days ago) @ dan

Unless there is a dramatic change in the direction, i don't think we are going to get much here - in fact it may not even rain here - too far off shore.

Active August

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, August 18, 2013, 23:26 (3913 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is an interesting comparison. Seems Nari started in a similar position
[image]

Active August

by dan, Monday, August 19, 2013, 13:19 (3913 days ago) @ dulan drift

A large, cold beer in the Dulan establishment of your choice says we will get rain in excess of, say, 100mm.

Active August

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, August 19, 2013, 15:12 (3913 days ago) @ dan

If you mean 'in excess of 100mm in a single day, in Xing Chang-Dulan area, between Aug 21-22', then yeah, i'll take that bet.

The north of Taiwan though does look to be in for a destructive deluge.

Active August

by dan, Monday, August 19, 2013, 18:54 (3913 days ago) @ dulan drift

How about 100mm within any 24-hour period between Aug 20 and Aug 26? I have a feeling I'm losing the bet as it is. The only thing that might save me is if Trami loops back over us.

Active August-Trami

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, August 19, 2013, 21:55 (3912 days ago) @ dan

Aug 20-26?! Why stop there? You sure you don't want the rest of August as well?

Ok, i'll still take it - on the proviso that we only count rain from this current typhoon. At this time of year a whole new typhoon could brew and strike within 6 days. You won't suddenly start taking credit for that, will you, if Trami doesn't do an unexpected double flip with a pike off the high board and double back on us?

And, btw, i've started researching the most expensive and exclusive establishments in town.

Active August-Trami

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, August 19, 2013, 23:01 (3912 days ago) @ dulan drift

All looks fine except for the green one, which has it slowing and curling south. you might be in with a chance yet!

[image]

Active August-Trami

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 14:58 (3911 days ago) @ dulan drift

7mm in Taidong since yesterday.

Meanwhile the north and north west coast is getting pounded and lots more to come. They would be getting into landslide territory very soon.

[image]

Active August-Trami

by dan, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 15:10 (3911 days ago) @ dulan drift

(Sigh) My only hope is that the tail on this thing will just linger above us.

I don't think that's going to happen though.

Active August-Trami

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, August 21, 2013, 19:09 (3911 days ago) @ dan

i'm interested to see if we will get either the foehn wind thing again or a blast of southerly wind - or both at the same time as was the case the last month. There's no wind now, but it is quite hot - hotter than normal at this time of night.

Last time there was a lag of about 4 hours after the eye passed Taipei - if it's the same this time, then it should happen around 10-12pm tonight. However the eye in this case is further to the north and it's packing a lot less wind than the previous one.

A place in Hsinchu is up to 550mil over the past two days. And seems the mid to south west coast is starting to get pummeled now as well.

Active August-Trami

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 19:28 (3910 days ago) @ dulan drift

Another 22mil in the rain guage overnight - but 700 plus in Taijhong, which is a serious amount - haven't heard whether there was any damage or casualties, but you'd assume there would be something with that amount.
No front wind, which you'd expect, and the back wind took a while to kick in - about 12 midnight - and although not huge, i'm impressed by its staying power - still gusting through now at 7.30, and at about the same level. Meanwhile the eye is a couple hundred k's inland in China.
Annoyingly, the power went out here, and one of the longest outages i've ever experienced in a typhoon, though the winds would have been lucky to have hit 70kph and the rain was moderate. Combined with a dose of foehn wind at night and it didn't make for great sleeping conditions.

Active August-Trami

by dan, Thursday, August 22, 2013, 20:20 (3909 days ago) @ dulan drift

Yes, last night seemed almost unbearably heavy at times. From about 5pm on we both felt terrible. I turned on the fan before getting into bed, well, plugged it in as I was standing about four feet away, and I swear it seemed to take at least eight seconds for any wind to hit me. It was like being under water. And on top of that I had to think about how I can avoid Mike until he forgets about our bet.

Active August-Trami

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, August 23, 2013, 11:46 (3909 days ago) @ dan

Seems there is a new thing forming that looks to be more in the traditional spot for a hit on Taidong.
[image]

photo from trami's impact on west coast

[image]

Active August-Trami

by dan, Sunday, August 25, 2013, 08:21 (3907 days ago) @ dulan drift

It's looking more and more possible that this may turn into something:
[image]

RSS Feed of thread