Local Earthquakes (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 21:26 (4130 days ago)

There has been a bit of spate of earthquakes in this area recently. 3 in the last 5 days and two in the last two. The one just an hour ago felt like the biggest.

Typically, the earthquakes we experience in this area are just shudders around the 3-4 mark, but when you look at where they occur, they often occur right here, within a 10 km radius of Xing Chang. (Dan, if you have time, can up upload the earthquake map from CWB, i can never manage it. I remember from looking at those maps you posted once that there is a small fault that runs right through here - hope it's not planning on upgrading itself.

Local Earthquakes

by dan, Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 17:54 (4125 days ago) @ dulan drift

We have had a lot of earthquakes lately, and apparently we had another just today.

I've been saying for a long time that we (meaning all of east Asia) are in an active seismic period, punctuated by the recent quakes that caused the tsunamis. Those may be isolated events, but they are occurring in the larger event of seismic shift. I expect more to come.

Sorry to be slow on the map upload. Is this the map you mean or is there a fault map on the CWB site? If there is, I'd love to find it. I looked and couldn't find one. There is a great collection of Taiwan maps at http://atlas.pristine.com.tw/~philip/maps/.

Anyway, if this isn't the map you're referring to, let me know.

[image]

Local Earthquakes

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, January 14, 2013, 23:56 (4119 days ago) @ dan

Another one today, 4.3, just off shore from here, felt like the biggest one yet. Can't remember a spate of earthquakes so close together here before. Had that sense that you could feel it approaching, then culminating in one largish jolt.

RSS Feed of thread