Winter Storm (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 06:10 (4128 days ago)

Don't know what's going on here exactly, but suddenly there are typhoon-like conditions happening outside.
Don't usually get the combination of wind and rain here in winter. The big dbjf's are usually dry and when it does rain the wind dies off. But i was woken up to the sound of things banging around and driving rain - and a flooded living room from where the water had come under the doors and windows. There was a typhoon that passed through the ppe a few days ago - whether this is the tail of that mixed with a dbjf?
There is a wind advisory with 8 on the beaufort scale for the islands. Gusts expected up to 60kts!!!
CWB has us at 60% for rain today - they might want to revisit that.

PS. Is today really Sunday!!?? Just checked the dates on the graph and realized I've missed a day. I thought it was only Sat today.
[image]

[image]

Winter Storm

by dan, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 09:16 (4127 days ago) @ dulan drift

It hit very hard here as well. It woke us up around 5:00 and kept going for a good two hours. The rain has let up but we're still getting some strong winds. Water on the floor here as well.

Sunday it is indeed. Too bad you missed Saturday. The weather was fantastic!

Winter Storm

by dan, Sunday, December 30, 2012, 15:29 (4127 days ago) @ dulan drift

Just tried to take a walk down the hill to warm up a bit and noticed this very dark cloud heading my way from the north (of course). Turned back after being hit by driving rain. It looks very dark up there. Apparently C/henggong has had about 80mil so far today,the most in Taiwan.

[image]

Winter Storm

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, December 31, 2012, 00:30 (4127 days ago) @ dan

wasn't too bad here but bitterly cold. everyone was talking about the storm last night and saying the same thing: 'it was like a typhoon!' Definitely the biggest winter storm i have seen here.
Seems to be another possible scenario on the horizon for Wed-Thurs though i doubt it will be as exciting as that one. High pressure with strong winds coming down and another low to the west of ppe.Interesting that even at this late stage a lot of our rain is affected by typhoons. [image]

Winter Storm

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, January 02, 2013, 00:39 (4125 days ago) @ dulan drift

[image]

Here's the chart for the same day but a couple of days closer to the event. The low has come more into the picture and should produce rain, but maybe not until thurs, when the outflow starts to feed into us. Also, there doesn't seem to be a coldfront associated with the systems at this stage, so that may mean not as much rain - guess we'll see.

But i think we can expect big winds starting tomorrow so maybe pack the porch furniture away - if it didn't get blown away for the storm on Sun morning.

Winter Storm

by dan, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 20:56 (4123 days ago) @ dulan drift

You sure nailed the dbf. It was wailing last night, then when we arrived in Zhiben this morning it the winds were coming from every direction, initially the south. It seems to have calmed down now.

Winter Storm

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, January 03, 2013, 21:15 (4123 days ago) @ dan

Funnily enough, although it was happening here, it wasn't that big until the afternoon. In the morning i could see whitecaps everywhere, but the wind wasn't that strong here, which was odd, suggesting that it was coming more from the north at that stage, from which i do get slight protection. But not at your shack by the sounds.

We haven't moved into the outflow stream of the typhoon yet, or it hasn't moved into us, but we could get some rain when that happens tomorrow.

Though they've had 160+ in Nan Ao today.

The charts make interesting reading for the next week - looks like a bumpy ride the whole way through with lows, coldfronts and cold, windy highs all converging. Winter is more interesting than i thought.

This due next Tues:
[image]

Winter Storm

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, January 05, 2013, 19:07 (4121 days ago) @ dulan drift

That's a decent size typhoon. Vietnam is getting the brunt of it - looks like it could cause some serious damage.

It's interesting how late the season goes for the more southerly places. There also seems to be another two lining up behind it.

Didn't get any rain out of it here unfortunately. I stupidly left the tap on a couple of weeks ago and drained the chicken shed tank. This is about the worst time of year to do it coz another filling rainfall may not come until April-May.

[image]

Winter Storm

by dan, Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 17:40 (4118 days ago) @ dulan drift

It looks a very active in the ITCZ.

[image]

Winter Storm

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 20:50 (4118 days ago) @ dan

Hell! You would think it was the height of typhoon season. I do know that ppe gets typhoons very late in the peace, even in Feb, but this seems a bit excessive.

Winter Storm

by dan, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 20:57 (4117 days ago) @ dulan drift

I wonder to what extent, if any, this activity portends our next typhoon season.

Winter Storm

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 22:03 (4117 days ago) @ dan

Down the bottom of this article is a series of graphs relating to the ave freq of typ in ppe. Dan, you might be able to upload the graph - i can't.

http://www.nscb.gov.ph/headlines/StatsSpeak/2008/081408_rav_typhoons.asp

They can get them in every month of the year. Feb is the quietest. Then March.

Jan is the 3rd quietest, 0.5 per year. They've already had two in Jan, so it is an active year.

7 of the top 10 deadliest typs have occured in Oct-Dec. The big deadly one they had in 2011, was in Dec, with another one in Dec 2012. So their season really cranks up late.

Meanwhile, Australia has set a new temperature record this summer - 40.1 ave high for all the weather stations. It's shaping up as a bad fire season there. Some mention of the transition to El nino - may also be affecting the ppe and the typ situation.

Winter Storm

by dan, Thursday, January 10, 2013, 07:25 (4117 days ago) @ dulan drift

I've been reading about the fires in Australia. An average temp. of 40+ seems a little excessive.

Getting a picture of graphs and other non-image elements of a page requires a screen capture program. They're simple to use. A free one for windows is http://lightscreen.sourceforge.net/. It can do things like make an image out of a graph that is otherwise impossible to download (nearly).

[image]

Winter Storm

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, January 10, 2013, 09:17 (4116 days ago) @ dan

Thanks for the graph. I'll investigate that program.
Something strange going on with the weather today. I woke up at 5.30 with a few big gusts of wind coming through and i wondered if we were getting a repeat of that storm a couple of weeks ago so i got up and packed some things away on the porch. It didn't eventuate, but the the wind is coming from the north and the skies out over Green Is. are storm black. The sea out the front of my place is getting an off-shore wind effect with no whitecaps, which is pretty unusual.

Will be interested to see how this unfolds.

[image]

Winter Storm

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, January 11, 2013, 09:04 (4115 days ago) @ dulan drift

I know it often looks like it is about to rain here without actually raining, but it is starting to get ridiculous. Yesterday you could see the rain out to sea, the north to mid east coast was drenched, the radar appeared to show a rain band closing in, but still nothing here. The rain stayed just off-shore. That is the typical winter weather pattern whereby a shield of dry air seems to run up the south east coast(last time i said that we got 20ml - hope it happens again)
Right now i can see rain up around your area - in that case it will generally rain here as well.
[image]

Winter Storm

by dan, Friday, January 11, 2013, 09:19 (4115 days ago) @ dulan drift

We are getting an almost imperceptible sprinkle. I know what you mean about it always looking like it's about to rain. I can see the rain as well, but the garden looks awful dry. I'm going to have to actually water this afternoon if we don't get something.

RSS Feed of thread