Great White shark caught off Taitung coast (Animals)

by dan, Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 20:38 (4181 days ago)

A Great White approximately 450 centimeters long and weighing around 1,000 kilos was caught off the Changbin coast today. That's probably far enough away from Jinzun that it won't worry the arriving surfers, but no doubt it will be talked about. Apparently they are becoming more common of the east coast from Yilan south (Great Whites that is, but I guess the same goes for surfers).

http://is.gd/ZvDpz1

[image]

Great White shark caught off Taitung coast

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, November 15, 2012, 19:25 (4180 days ago) @ dan

i didn't realize there were great whites in these waters. i've always gone snorkeling here (as opposed to Aus) quite comfortably in that knowledge - but no longer it seems.
assume it's a seasonal thing, with them moving further north during winter. so far as i know they tend to be a fairly coldwater fish - but what do i know - i didn't think they even existed here.

by dan, Thursday, November 15, 2012, 23:11 (4180 days ago) @ dulan drift

Worth noting that they are apparently becoming more common over the last few years. Also worth noting is that the qiyu catch, which is what this area is famous for, has dropped off precipitously in the last year. Last year at this time we were buying qiyu steaks in the Chenggong nonghui store for nothing, like 50 or 60 NT. This year, they have none. They don't have any. We could find them at the harbor I'm sure, but we'd pay a premium. Apparently the catch this year is way way down. And yet, the Great White population is rising. What does that mean? The boat that caught this shark was looking for qiyu.

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, November 28, 2012, 18:43 (4167 days ago) @ dan

dun, dun, dun, dun, dun... da dun.

RSS Feed of thread