BOT (General)

by shawnehamilton, Thursday, July 12, 2012, 03:49 (4300 days ago)

What is a BOT? The acronym comes up a lot in terms of the Miramar issue but no-one ever mentions what it means. I saw it in this context: "Bot the mountains. Bot the oceans."

BOT

by dan, Thursday, July 12, 2012, 07:27 (4299 days ago) @ shawnehamilton

I'm pretty sure it stands for 'Buy - Operate - Transfer'. I hadn't heard the term either until a couple years ago. Apparently, it's a growing trend in Taiwan for construction of government projects. It seems to me to be just a new way to rip off the taxpayer while giving the bureaucrats yet another means for getting fat kickbacks.

I think it works like this. The govt. wants to build, oh, let's say an illegal hotel on public property. Or, another real life example here in Taitung, they want to build a new campus for a public university. It's expensive, so they allow a private company to build and operate the project for a profit for X number of years, at which point the project is returned to the government.

I don't see how the public benefits from this. At my uni, for example, the new student dorms parking areas are BOT. The dorms are expensive as hell, and I actually have to pay NT1,000/year to park on my own campus, a public campus. So, Bob Public gets it up the ass while the private constructions companies rake in the money and the local politicians get a fat payoff.

BOT

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, July 12, 2012, 11:16 (4299 days ago) @ dan

I'm pretty sure it stands for 'Buy - Operate - Transfer'. I hadn't heard the term either until a couple years ago. Apparently, it's a growing trend in Taiwan for construction of government projects. It seems to me to be just a new way to rip off the taxpayer while giving the bureaucrats yet another means for getting fat kickbacks.

I think it works like this. The govt. wants to build, oh, let's say an illegal hotel on public property. Or, another real life example here in Taitung, they want to build a new campus for a public university. It's expensive, so they allow a private company to build and operate the project for a profit for X number of years, at which point the project is returned to the government.

It actually means 'Build Operate Transfer'. It's meant to be used for things like public infrastructure, such as high-speed rail lines, not for allowing mega-rich land developers to exploit public assets like the coast-line.

They have a 50 year lease - with a reported monthly rent of just a piddling $10 000 per month for 6 hectares of some of the best beach frontage in Taiwan - most people in Taipei would be paying more than that for a bed-sitter apartment.

And i'd have a big question mark over the 'transfer' part. In fifty years time is the govt really going to take back and start running dozens of hotels all along the east coast? I doubt it.

BOT

by dan, Thursday, July 12, 2012, 11:29 (4299 days ago) @ dulan drift

I actually did mean Build, not Buy. I should never try to communicate before my second cup of coffee.

A 50-year lease? That's laughable. Everyone involved with the protest will be dead by the time that's up. Of course they're planning people will simply forget, or if they remember, they'll simply renew the lease.

That also makes me even more doubtful of the intent of BOT. It's basically a means of handing over public land for corporate profit. And no doubt the politicians who hand it over, in addition to getting a nice hong bao while they're in office, will get a sweet corporate job once they leave, as will their children.

RSS Feed of thread