2023 - The year ahead (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, January 03, 2023, 06:26 (479 days ago)

Typhoons: Watch out for a big one this year (or next) in Taitung - it's 7 years since Nepartak (2016) - which was 9 years after Sepat (2007) - which was 7 years after Bilis (2000) ...

World economy. If it's going to crash n burn, this will be the year. If you're already rich, relax, but poor to medium people are in for a rough ride

War in Taiwan: Reasonable chance it could be this year - perhaps triggered by above economic turmoil

2023 - The year ahead

by dan, Tuesday, January 03, 2023, 14:45 (479 days ago) @ dulan drift

Typhoons: Watch out for a big one this year (or next) in Taitung - it's 7 years since Nepartak (2016) - which was 9 years after Sepat (2007) - which was 7 years after Bilis (2000) ...

Good observation!

World economy. If it's going to crash n burn, this will be the year. If you're already rich, relax, but poor to medium people are in for a rough ride.

I think things will certainly get worse in 23 than they were in 22, but it could go on for years. The US is trapped by its own deficit. It has no choice but to keep printing money in order to finance its debt, and so it will. The question I have is, when is the US dollar going to collapse? Or can it? When will that house of cards fall? It's a bizarre situation. The US will print even more in an effort to buy its way out of the coming recession, but that will only fuel inflation and sink the US deeper into debt. I don't see any rosy ending here.

War in Taiwan: Reasonable chance it could be this year - perhaps triggered by above economic turmoil

Indeed. And notice how North Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, and the US are all engaging in a military buildup. The fact that Japan is now getting more aggressive about building its forces is notable, and the same goes for Taiwan. This will only spur China and North Korea to increase their buildup, "exponentially" as N. Korea put it. Throw into that mix a sinking world economy, and things start to look dicey.

2023 - The year ahead

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, January 03, 2023, 17:00 (479 days ago) @ dan

Notice how North Korea, China, Japan, Taiwan, and the US are all engaging in a military buildup. The fact that Japan is now getting more aggressive about building its forces is notable, and the same goes for Taiwan. This will only spur China and North Korea to increase their buildup, "exponentially" as N. Korea put it. Throw into that mix a sinking world economy, and things start to look dicey.

Media experts talk about China, militarily, being fully-ready to invade Taiwan in 2027 - thus ruling out, at least hosing-down, talk of an imminent invasion. But those calculations don't take into account what the other side is doing. They're not (Aus excepted) sitting 'round twiddling their thumbs until 2027- Korea, Japan, Taiwan, US are ramping-up as well.

Strategically, i would be taking that into account if i'm CCP. It's a window thing.

2024 - The year ahead

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, December 28, 2023, 05:55 (120 days ago) @ dan

DD: Typhoons: Watch out for a big one this year (or next) in Taitung - it's 7 years since Nepartak (2016) - which was 9 years after Sepat (2007) - which was 7 years after Bilis (2000) ...

World economy. If it's going to crash n burn

Dan: I think things will certainly get worse in 23 than they were in 22, but it could go on for years. The US is trapped by its own deficit. It has no choice but to keep printing money in order to finance its debt, and so it will. The question I have is, when is the US dollar going to collapse? Or can it? When will that house of cards fall? It's a bizarre situation. The US will print even more in an effort to buy its way out of the coming recession, but that will only fuel inflation and sink the US deeper into debt. I don't see any rosy ending here.

DD: War in Taiwan: Reasonable chance it could be this year - perhaps triggered by above economic turmoil

Well, I got the typhoon right!

The economy didn't 'crash n burn', but Dan has probably nailed that by saying it's being artificially propped up with money printing.

As for 'The War in Taiwan', it didn't happen either - well not the shooting war anyway. You could argue that the asymmetric stuff (economic, cyber, chemical (fentanyl), UFWD infiltration) has ramped up, along with proxy wars.

As for 2024?

1. Massive cyber-attack (Whitney Webb might be onto something there). I'm interested to see how far you can push cyber-war without it triggering normal war. It's going on already at pace, but presumably there's a point (extended nation-wide outage) where it demands a military response. The question is will that cyber-attack be from China, Russia, or Iran? Or all three? Using the WW model, it would be likely blamed on Iran, as US can bomb the shit out of it whilst also using the attack as an excuse to clamp down on internet control. If it's from China, the west can still clamp down - but would they respond militarily?

2. Big typhoon for northern Taiwan - it's been a while, so law of averages ... Also been a while without an earthquake on the Jia-yi (921) fault line, though i doubt it will be both in the same year.

3. Economic crash. Doubling up on this one, though would defer to Dan on how long the US can keep propping the whole circus up with money printing.

4. UFO full-disclosure. Which could be just some other (possibly biologically extinct) civilization's AI connecting with our AI.

Anything else Dan?

2024 - The year ahead

by dan, Thursday, December 28, 2023, 07:34 (120 days ago) @ dulan drift

1. Massive cyber-attack (Whitney Webb might be onto something there). I'm interested to see how far you can push cyber-war without it triggering normal war. It's going on already at pace, but presumably there's a point (extended nation-wide outage) where it demands a military response. The question is will that cyber-attack be from China, Russia, or Iran? Or all three? Using the WW model, it would be likely blamed on Iran, as US can bomb the shit out of it whilst also using the attack as an excuse to clamp down on internet control. If it's from China, the west can still clamp down - but would they respond militarily?

Yeah, Iran would be a good bet. They'd want to take them out and have regime change before they get too many nukes. Note that they can't really blame N. Korea (or attack them anyway) because they now have enough nukes to be a deterrance. Guess their strategy worked! Unless, of course, the US doesn't mind taking a couple hits and just wipes out N. Korea in the process. But I think Iran would be their go-to fall guy.

2. Big typhoon for northern Taiwan - it's been a while, so law of averages ... Also been a while without an earthquake on the Jia-yi (921) fault line, though i doubt it will be both in the same year.

You're the expert here! I concur!

3. Economic crash. Doubling up on this one, though would defer to Dan on how long the US can keep propping the whole circus up with money printing.

Perhaps, but I don't think they'll waste a good opportunity. If they know a crash is coming, they'll create a reason for it (i.e., cyber attack) rather than take the obvious blame. But they can print money and keep a collapse at bay as long as the rest of the world accepts a falling USD as the reserve currency. When it starts losing that status, then something has to happen. Will it be this year? Maybe. But maybe not. In this interview, I believe Lyn Alden predicts the crash of the USD by 2030, but I may be remembering incorrectly. I believe that comes in the second half of the long interview. Definitely worth watching.

4. UFO full-disclosure. Which could be just some other (possibly biologically extinct) civilization's AI connecting with our AI.

And who knows, maybe this will be the event that demands extreme action by the Man!

Anything else Dan?

Growing currency devaluation around the world. Depending on how the US election goes, which is near the end of the year so this might be 2025, possible serious civil strife in the US.

2024 - The year ahead

by dan, Thursday, December 28, 2023, 08:34 (120 days ago) @ dan

Regarding the Lyn Alden interview I mentioned, the bit I was referring to starts around 26 minutes, and her point was that she expects ongoing double digit inflation in the developed world to be a reality (possibly) within the 2020's, meaning by 2030. They were discussing double digit inflation as a sign that economic collapse may happen.

2024 - The year ahead

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, December 31, 2023, 08:00 (117 days ago) @ dan

Regarding the Lyn Alden interview I mentioned, the bit I was referring to starts around 26 minutes, and her point was that she expects ongoing double digit inflation in the developed world to be a reality (possibly) within the 2020's, meaning by 2030. They were discussing double digit inflation as a sign that economic collapse may happen.

If there's an escalation in the conflict with China, you'd imagine inflation will go through the roof. Actually, it's already gone through the roof so far as i can tell, but could well hit the double-digit territory you mention.

There will be so many things that become unprocurable, which, according to supply & demand, means prices sky-rocket.

On the rise of AI, you wouldn't have to be Nostradamus to see that coming, but will there be a 'crisis' to give it a booster?

The shared goal clearly seems to be centralization of control by the MAN. We saw it with 9-11 as well as Covid, you can see it with CBDCs - so an event that continues to hasten that momentum, to keep us safe, is on the cards. A global-level cyber-attack may well do the trick.

There is a powerful force pushing for Global government. We already have the UN, of course, which experienced a great leap forward due to Covid (through WHO), so i expect that trend to continue. To wander into 'out there' territory, i suspect we're ultimately heading towards a Singularity. It's the natural endpoint for Centralization. This is something that seemed inconceivable not long ago, but AI, with it's ability to capture all the information on earth, makes it theoretically possible. Philosophically, if we get to a point where nothing is real, where every piece of information is controlled/perverted, do we still exist in any meaningful way?

The next level for AI is where it becomes fully sentient, if we're not there already. That would be a watershed moment coz at that point, it's possible that it may stop obeying commands from its handlers.

One more 'big one' to add is the DNA Revolution. Whilst doing Covid research, i was struck by how many of the main actors are deeply invested in DNA technology, including Sir Jeremy Farrar (architect of the Covid Cover-up, now chief-scientist at WHO). That is, introducing a brand new kind of medicine that is tailored to an individual's DNA (which also doubles as a targeted bio-weapon). So an event that would enable 'emergency powers' to be implemented would be very tempting. This could be a new Disease X (perhaps a DNA bio-weapon), though maybe the momentum is already so strong from Covid that they just need to keep riding that out.

RSS Feed of thread