typhoon mawar (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 10:37 (4346 days ago)

This looks like it would be a pretty dangerous system if it made landfall in Taiwan, though it doesn't appear that it will. In fact, with the outflow chasing the tail of the cold front to the north, it has been dry, hot and sunny here. A strong wind is blowing from the ne but only during the daytime - not sure why that is. Most likely it is wind rushing into the low pressure rather than actual generated outward wind. Is expected to stay well off the east coast of Taiwan and recurve further to the ne.

[image]

typhoon mawar

by dan, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 14:00 (4346 days ago) @ dulan drift

The forecasts have Mawar sitting off our east coast for at least the next couple of days. It will be interesting to see how it affects us. It's been a windy (ne wind), mostly cloudy day in Donghe. I keep thinking we're going to get some rain, but nothing yet.

typhoon mawar

by dan, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 14:52 (4346 days ago) @ dulan drift

Mawar seems to be recurving less drastically than previously predicted, taking a more northerly direction, which means it will probably affect us more than previously thought. Still, it's going to head NE by all predictions, but it looks like it's going to be on a NNE track at least for the next day or so. We should at least get some gusty winds and rain of some sort.

typhoon mawar

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 16:05 (4346 days ago) @ dan

yeah, i was starting to think i could have snuck in a trip to Taipei this weekend but now i see there is a torrential rain warning for Ilan, which would have made the return trip pretty risky. they have already had 200ml plus on that road.

It's really a large system, and slow moving so far - would have been quite destructive if it had hit anything.

typhoon mawar

by dan, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 21:55 (4346 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is probably the closest it's going to get. The winds in Donghe are very odd at the moment, with clouds moving in from the west while winds on the ground are out of the north.

[image]

typhoon mawar

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, June 04, 2012, 20:23 (4345 days ago) @ dan

[image]

This must be about as close a typhoon can get to Taiwan and have virtually no adverse effect on the weather. Basically it was a very pleasant day, low winds, a couple of light, refreshing afternoon showers. There seems to be very much a doppler effect with typhoons - once they start moving away from you everything drops off markedly.

typhoon mawar

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, June 05, 2012, 20:12 (4344 days ago) @ dulan drift

[image]

That cute little bit of cloud over central Taidong is actually causing quite a lot of rain - 50ml and counting. Far more than we had when the typhoon was much closer to us.

typhoon mawar

by dan, Tuesday, June 05, 2012, 20:24 (4344 days ago) @ dulan drift

It looks like we're going to get more before the morning comes. Changbin is up to 90, and it's once again building this way. I was quite surprised on the drive home from Zhiben in the afternoon, where it hadn't rained all day. A few miles north of Fugang it started getting very dark, then, wow, it was like we'd driven into another world. It's a very local rain. It's amazing how this can happen between Changbin and Dulan. sometimes very focused on Chenggong, while everything north and south of those points remains unaffected. It's quite a small area, after all.

typhoon mawar

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, June 06, 2012, 10:48 (4343 days ago) @ dan

[image]

From this pressure chart, you can see that the very periphery of the typhoon's low pressure bands were right on the east coast - it was possibly this that created a reaction that caused the rain.

RSS Feed of thread