Half-decent media outlets (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, August 07, 2021, 11:47 (987 days ago)

This might be a stupid question - but have you found any media outlets that reliably print factual details?

I've read a lot of Covid related stuff - you can get bits and pieces from some - most of it needs deciphering - but struggle to think of one that i'd recommend. That's scary in itself.

Oh, Taiwan News is not bad. https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/index

Half-decent media outlets

by dan, Saturday, August 07, 2021, 15:13 (987 days ago) @ dulan drift

This might be a stupid question - but have you found any media outlets that reliably print factual details?

I don't. Every major outlet has an agenda of some sort. I'd also like to find an outlet that asks honest questions and invites open discussion.

One question I'd start with is, if current vaccines do not reduce the viral load of the Delta strain in those infected, does that mean, at least with regards to Delta, that vaccines will not help curb the pandemic?

That seems like such a simple question, but nobody is asking it.

by dan, Saturday, August 07, 2021, 15:27 (987 days ago) @ dulan drift

In the US, much of the news originates from the big services, AP, UPI, and Reuters.

Then you have what I would call the second tier, consumer organizations like CNN, Newsweek, FOX, etc., which occasionally do some of their own original research. Of those, I'd say Newsweek is probably the least corrupt.

But historically, it's the news services that were supposed to provide unbiased, objective news. Those times are gone I'm afraid. These services aren't asking the obvious questions.

So I don't know. I think we're likely screwed.

by dan, Saturday, August 14, 2021, 12:59 (980 days ago) @ dulan drift

I'm trying to use Google as little as possible, particularly for news, and I recently ran across these sites:

https://flipboard.com

https://upstract.com

https://upstract.com

They seem to work well. I just got sick of Google's ads and tracking, and there news page just wasn't cutting it any longer.

I'm also a fan of AP, Al Jazeera, and have recently been visiting Euronews more frequently.

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, August 14, 2021, 16:41 (980 days ago) @ dan

This site should be on the list: https://unherd.com.

Haha - was just about post Unherd. Had a quick look at a couple of the others - seem promising. Thanks for that. It's good to have some ports of refuge in this crazy corrupt storm that's raging around the world.

Speaking of storms - normal ones - this typhoon heading vaguely towards Philippines/Taiwan/maybe Japan could be anything - that's the classic path where the big Cat-5's work up a head of steam.

[image]

Daniela Cambone | Sansberry Research

by dan, Friday, September 03, 2021, 15:03 (960 days ago) @ dulan drift

Daniela Cambone does a lot of good interviews for Sansberry Research. One thing I like about her is that she takes on guests with opposing viewpoints.

Today I watched this video. Its title, Banks to Seize Your Money in Coming Financial Crisis Warns David Morgan, is a bit of click bait, but it's an interesting interview. He qualifies that statement in the interview. It's not as outlandish as it sounds. A lot of her guests are coming on and saying, it's clear, everything economic is truly messed up.

by dan, Friday, November 19, 2021, 07:36 (883 days ago) @ dulan drift

On a somewhat related note, I'm working on a method and system for collecting (as in downloading and saving) and storing a lot of the resources we've been identifying, which mostly means web pages, but also pdf docs.

What you'll find is that, over time, a lot of these things will disappear from the Internet via URL changes, site updates, and good old censorship. Most bad links are the result of site maintenance.

I've found a great tool for archiving web pages.

Archive

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, November 19, 2021, 18:00 (882 days ago) @ dan

Great! A lot of time the best material comes from the subjects' own websites - they don't realize how incriminating they are. So if they do realize, it's easy to change, take down.

Half-decent media outlets - AI to the rescue?

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, May 03, 2023, 06:03 (353 days ago) @ dan

Although it's possible to find good individuals presenting interesting info on specific topics, it's not possible for those individuals to collate daily newspapers, which i still like to read.

However, AI could do it standing on its virtual ear. As Dan pointed out, there doesn't seem to be any problem with plagiarism, so all you need is someone to direct AI to churn out stories from all the disparate sources out there, then turn up the dial on, for example, the origin of Covid, - turn it down on Bud Light using a transgender person in its advertising, or the Royal Family - then you're in business, no?

Half-decent media outlets - AI to the rescue?

by dan, Saturday, May 06, 2023, 11:40 (350 days ago) @ dulan drift

I've been playing around with chatgpt and have found it very useful for somethings, horrible at other things, and generally intriguing. It's clearly a very powerful tool, particularly when one considers that this is just a tiny version of what's no doubt happening behind the scenes.

So with regards to your news idea, yes, I think it could be good at that. It's still just going to give you what's been fed into it, just in a conversational style. It does do things like coding though, which is very cool.

But I also think this could be an absolute nightmare in part due to the power it will be granted. More on that in the next post.

The more controversial the question, the the more you have to dig into chatgpt. It's a weird thing and I can see what people mean when they say that you need to learn how to write prompts for it.

Here's a quick Q&A I had just a bit ago.

I am 'user', obviously. Scroll down if you don't want to read it all to where I've bolded a few lines. Very interesting exchange...

More on this topic in a bit.

Chat-GPT on Covid origin

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, May 06, 2023, 13:53 (350 days ago) @ dan

Very interesting. It's clearly geared up to spread the 'natural origin' disinfo - even gives pangolin a mention. It's back-up is Fauci's latest line: it's very complex & we may never know - which is what they're aiming for as a final resting place.

You nailed it on your question of 'What people or organizations exactly were spreading lab-leak conspiracy theories?'

Shows that it's happy to spread unsubstantiated generalizations (rubbish) that are straight off the Zoonati's talking points.

Also it keeps referring to investigations by WHO & even China that may help solve the origin question. As if anything that comes out of those two orgs would be trustworthy!

The other thing is that it's angling to keep the investigation in-house amongst Science Experts, when it's the Science Experts who likely caused Covid & have definitely been obfuscating efforts to understand the origin.

It's a criminal investigation primarily. Don't need to be a science expert to understand the origin - it's better if you're not.

It's pretty simple: Interrogate the fuck out of our chief persons of interest - offer immunity for first one to come clean. Mass-manslaughter charges for the rest.

Chat-GPT on Covid origin

by dan, Saturday, May 06, 2023, 14:52 (350 days ago) @ dulan drift

You nailed it on your question of 'What people or organizations exactly were spreading conspiracy theories?'

Well, it's clearly one hell of a rabbit hole. You can see from its responses that one could easily follow up and demand specifics, which chatgpt seems loath to provide. And I think it's the way you target specifics that matters with it. You have to corner it to find that it does, in fact, have an opinion -- or it expresses an opinion -- that of the Man.

by dan, Thursday, September 21, 2023, 11:27 (212 days ago) @ dulan drift

Found this one today: https://web.ground.news/.

I haven't spent much time on it, but it tags news outlets with owners, political leanings, etc.

RSS Feed of thread