wiki - dictionary - home

Extreme Events 2021 - Japan Snow Storm (General)

by dulan drift, Monday, January 11, 2021, 19:38 (47 days ago)

2020 will be a hard act to follow but Japan has kicked things off with a snow storm in the Hokuriku region. Hope Dan's not snowed under.

- 8 fatalities so sounds serious

- report says 1000's without power - how do you avoid freezing to death when you don't have power in a snow storm?

Extreme Events 2021 - Japan Snow Storm

by dan @, Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 04:28 (46 days ago) @ dulan drift

We had a four-foot snow drift outside our front door the other day. Losing power is a major fear. We have no fireplace and rely on electric power, so I'm not sure what we would do. The other thing that could knock out power is an earthquake. We have those occasionally in Japan.

C'mon March!

[image]

by dulan drift, Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 06:19 (45 days ago) @ dan

We had a four-foot snow drift outside our front door the other day. Losing power is a major fear. We have no fireplace and rely on electric power, so I'm not sure what we would do. The other thing that could knock out power is an earthquake. We have those occasionally in Japan.

C'mon March!

[image]

Bloody Hell! That's a lot of snow! How do you get to work? I guess they've got some system worked out.

In Taiwan the backhoes are all out clearing landslides the second a typhoon passes - stuff that would takes weeks or months to do in Australia - is it something like that there?

Extreme Events 2021 - Spain Snow Storm

by dulan drift, Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 06:57 (45 days ago) @ dulan drift

Sensing a theme developing here - bit different from the usual.

"At least seven people have died due to the weather - the two latest victims were homeless people in Barcelona.

The temperature plunged to -25C (-13F) in Molina de Aragón and Teruel, in mountains east of Madrid - Spain's coldest night for at least 20 years.

Deep snow left by Storm Filomena has turned to ice, disrupting transport. There has been an extraordinary quantity of snow and ice for Spain, where winters are usually quite mild."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-55632791

by dan @, Wednesday, January 13, 2021, 15:22 (45 days ago) @ dulan drift

Bloody Hell! That's a lot of snow! How do you get to work? I guess they've got some system worked out.

In Taiwan the backhoes are all out clearing landslides the second a typhoon passes - stuff that would takes weeks or months to do in Australia - is it something like that there?

Well, first I have to dig my way out to my car. Some of the main roads may be plowed, but for the most part, for whatever reason, Japan doesn't plow snow on most roads. This results in pretty wild driving conditions. Every car sold in this region is 4-wheel drive. Even the cheap, tiny models are 4WD.

by dulan drift, Thursday, January 14, 2021, 14:38 (44 days ago) @ dan

Well, first I have to dig my way out to my car. Some of the main roads may be plowed, but for the most part, for whatever reason, Japan doesn't plow snow on most roads. This results in pretty wild driving conditions. Every car sold in this region is 4-wheel drive. Even the cheap, tiny models are 4WD.

Cool! One thing about us humans - we're adaptive to different habitats. You've seen a fair range in one life time. David Attenborough would be impressed.

Extreme events 2021 - Fukushima 7.3 Earthquake

by dulan drift, Tuesday, February 16, 2021, 07:26 (11 days ago) @ dulan drift

Nothing like a 7.3 earthquake to commemorate 10 years since the big one.

Given the cluster behaviour we've seen before i wonder if there'll be similar sized jolts in the sequence.

No-one killed amazingly though building damage and utility outages of course.

Hard to capture good earthquake video but this gives a reasonable idea of what it's like:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1360612030806302724

Texas Winter Storm

by dulan drift, Wednesday, February 17, 2021, 06:12 (10 days ago) @ dulan drift

"A winter storm has brought deadly freezing winds, ice and snow to many regions that rarely see such frigid conditions.

In Texas, a surge in demand for electricity has led to widespread power cuts. The crisis was worsened when nearly half the state's wind power generation was knocked out by the storm on Sunday. Wind power is the state's second-largest source of electricity.

The National Weather Service (NWS) said more than 150 million Americans were now under winter storm warnings.

At least 11 deaths have been blamed on the widespread storm."

Power cuts and freezing temps are not two things you want in the same sentence.

RSS Feed of thread