west to east system (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, February 24, 2012, 23:53 (4438 days ago)

[image]

This is actually a pretty rare event going on at the moment. A system moving from west to east making it across the two mountain ranges and raining here. Must be a pretty strong to be able to do that.

west to east system

by dan, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 21:51 (4436 days ago) @ dulan drift

It was rare, but I'm wondering now if it was the last blast of winter. I just planted some spinach today, and with temperatures expected to rise into the high 20's next week, I'm wondering if it will have a chance. Is it too late to get one last crop of winter veggies in? I'm guessing not, but we'd better get them in now. I'm going to start the diguaye from cuttings soon so it will be ready to harvest during the summer.

west to east system

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, February 27, 2012, 09:18 (4436 days ago) @ dan

I don't know if that west-east system was the 'last blast of winter' or the first blast of spring and a kind of pre-mei-yu. It did switch back to the normal northeast monsoon on Saturday, which is the typical winter weather pattern, but those 100ml+ falls on Friday seemed more typical of spring rain.

Anyway, i think there is still time for a last crop. Winter weather can persist up to mid-April and in previous years some of the biggest dong bei ji fongs have come in March.

Will be interested to see what kind of a mei yu we get this year - i remember it was pretty big last year - in fact my vegie garden died from too much water - i was in Australia at the time and may have also contributed by putting the watering system on automatic.

RSS Feed of thread