Hurricane Double Whammy (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, August 23, 2020, 19:58 (1341 days ago)

Not sure i've seen this before - two hurricanes - Marco and Laura - zeroing in on the same landfall site in Louisiana within 48 hrs - on Mon then Wed. They're not huge and look to be travelling pretty quick which is good but you'd wanna double on your prep if you're living there.

[image]

Hurricane Double Whammy

by dan, Monday, August 24, 2020, 04:37 (1341 days ago) @ dulan drift

Yeah I've been following these. Apparently it's the first time this has happened, in fact I think it's the first time two hurricanes have been in the Gulf of Mexico at the same time. The area they're going to hit is where Katrina make landfall back in the day.

Hurricane Double Whammy

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, August 24, 2020, 07:03 (1341 days ago) @ dan

The tracks now have Marco swinging a round-arm right-hook along the coast of Louisiana with Laura providing the uppercut a couple of days later.

Laura will be the more powerful one but at least it's moving through quite fast.

Laura has caused blackouts to 500 000 in the Dominican Republic which gives an indication of it's strength.

[image]

Hurricane Double Whammy

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, August 24, 2020, 18:26 (1340 days ago) @ dulan drift

Marco looks to have weakened to a non-threat but Laura is shaping up as serious storm.

Hurricane Laura

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, August 26, 2020, 20:34 (1338 days ago) @ dulan drift

It was almost as if Laura consumed the energy from Marco coz as it petered out Laura swelled to Cat 3 and is predicted to hit Cat 4 just prior to landfall around the Texas-Louisiana border. For an area that's not used to such a powerful storm, that's a worry.

On top of 110mph winds, up to 15 inches of rain is forecast for parts of north west Gulf coast, which is not massive compared to a Taiwan typhoon but it's relative to the drainage system which i suspect is not as good as Taiwan's. There's also a predicted storm surge of 15ft so that's gonna swamp low lying areas by itself.

All the ingredients for a major disaster here.

Hurricane Laura

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, August 27, 2020, 08:52 (1338 days ago) @ dulan drift

Normally i'd say the rain is more dangerous than the wind but with eye-wall winds approaching 300kph in an area that's not used to getting such powerful storms then i'm afraid the zone on and just east of the Texas border is going to get destroyed.

[image]

[image]

[image]

National Hurricane Link:https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at3+shtml/211610.shtml?#wcontents

Hurricane Laura

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, August 27, 2020, 13:54 (1338 days ago) @ dulan drift

Whatever is gonna go down it's going down now. Port Arthur to Cameron in Louisiana looks like ground zero.

[image]

Hurricane Laura

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, August 28, 2020, 06:42 (1337 days ago) @ dulan drift

Media is reporting extensive wind damage and four deaths - that's a pretty good result considering - unless you're one of the four of course.

Seems the much vaunted storm surge didn't eventuate and the storm moved through quickly thus lessening the flood impact.

[image]

Hurricane Laura

by dan, Friday, August 28, 2020, 15:37 (1336 days ago) @ dulan drift

Yeah it looks like they dodged the bullet. COVID is hitting that area hard as well, so this was a double whammy. I am so glad we sold our house in the south! The only relatively safe (environmentally speaking) warm zone of the US now seems to be the Southwest. California is one big forest fire every summer, and the Southeast gets hit by these roof-ripping storms every year, and these houses are all made of wood and plasterboard.

Hurricane Laura

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, September 13, 2020, 20:19 (1320 days ago) @ dan

Media is reporting 28 deaths from Hurricane Laura, even though it's largely subsided in a crowded news cycle. Seems some of the deaths have been from the heat after the storm passed due to electricity being out. There are still 120 000 homes or businesses without electricity.

Looking at pictures there's terrible destruction. Must be a lot of people who had their houses wiped out. What happens to them? Will take years to recover.

[image]

[image]

RSS Feed of thread