Birds of Taiwan (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 16:09 (4487 days ago)

[image]
Caught this guy in the act of knocking off one of my chicks. He was was so preoccupied with the chick that he wasn't able to flick the switch to 'flee' when i arrived on the scene. As such, i just walked in and picked him up.
He has since been on a nice car ride and released to start a new life - far away from my chickens.

Birds of Taiwan

by dan, Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 17:09 (4487 days ago) @ dulan drift

That is an absolutely brilliant picture. Are you holding him by his legs? I'm assuming this is an eagle, but if so it must have been a young one. They've been out in force here with the recent mild weather. What a great shot. Looking forward to hearing all the details.

Birds of Taiwan

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 18:44 (4486 days ago) @ dan

[image]
Once i secured his feet, he seemed to calm down. The beak looks fierce, but i think they do most of their damage with their talons. today, I had him in a cage to transport him and when i went to grab him to release him, he rolled over onto his back and went for me with his talons - i was wearing thick gardening gloves, but i could still feel it.
I think he was pretty much an adult - they are called sparrow hawks, or 'chye ing' in Chinese. They don't grow that big. Main prey is small birds. They couldn't handle a full grown chicken, but the chicks are prime targets.
I don't mind losing the odd chicken to native animals, but as you know, i am not so understanding of dog owners that let their dogs roam free to maraud at will.

Birds of Taiwan

by dan, Wednesday, January 11, 2012, 21:22 (4486 days ago) @ dulan drift

So it was a hawk after all. I see these near our place, usually hanging out by the first (i.e. south) Donghe bridge, but I've never seen one close enough to identify its markings. They tend to fly much closer to the ground and for shorter periods. He must have been perching in a nearby tree.

What an experience. It beats the heck out of sitting around watching TV. How many times do you catch a hawk in one lifetime?

Birds of Taiwan

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, January 12, 2012, 08:52 (4486 days ago) @ dan

So it was a hawk after all. I see these near our place, usually hanging out by the first (i.e. south) Donghe bridge, but I've never seen one close enough to identify its markings. They tend to fly much closer to the ground and for shorter periods. He must have been perching in a nearby tree.

What an experience. It beats the heck out of sitting around watching TV. How many times do you catch a hawk in one lifetime?

Less than they catch chickens!

Yeah, they are actually quite common. After i released him up around the 100km mark, i drove back and saw another one (surely not the same one) just as i got back into Xing Chang.
Here's the chick that was attacked - a mintue later and i doubt he would have survived - poor darling
[image]

Birds of Taiwan

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:45 (4427 days ago) @ dulan drift

[image]

This flock of 14-15 Japanese pigeons arrived at my place a few days ago. They look greener than they do in the photo (dull light). Last time i saw them here was Oct, last year - in the same tree.

RSS Feed of thread