wiki - dictionary - home

The Data War (General)

by dulan drift, Thursday, April 16, 2020, 18:52 (120 days ago)

This is something that Dan was onto since way back - now it's coming to a head. Hong Kong was/is a front-line. The virus has dramatically ratcheted up what was already surging.

In the long run i think computers will take over - i think that will be a good thing - they're smarter than us - they don't need to eat or take a shit. But now we're living in the interim period where humans still wield the incredible power of the robot - that's a dangerous situation.

On the cutting edge of this in terms of state control we have China. Along with the virus the intrusion of personal surveillance also went exponential - only difference is that when the virus is gone the haul of data remains - or as John Donne put it describing the growth in love for his mistress
As princes do in time of action get
New taxes, and remit them not in peace
No winter shall abate the spring’s increase

Importantly, the virus provided a reason for 'why we need personal surveillance' up our gazoos - it's to 'protect us' in a time of crisis. To save lives.

The 'Battle of Ideas' - it already was a data war - now it's next level.

The Data War

by dan @, Friday, April 17, 2020, 06:13 (120 days ago) @ dulan drift

I ran across this guy the other day, and although some of the material linked to his site is questionable, the logic and observations in the video on this page make sense:

https://www.corbettreport.com/what-no-one-is-saying-about-the-corona-crisis/

And in this video, particularly in the second half (though the first half establishes context), he goes way down the rabbit hole of data and surveillance implications of Covid-19:

https://www.corbettreport.com/corona-world-order/

The Data War

by dulan drift, Friday, April 17, 2020, 11:27 (120 days ago) @ dan

I ran across this guy the other day, and although some of the material linked to his site is questionable, the logic and observations in the video on this page make sense:

I like his point about keeping an eye on the actual truth - not some made-up narrative which someone thinks is in our best interests. That's a slippery slope coz then you have people justifying certain courses of actions based on a false premise - that's the 'out in the weeds'system of government he's talking about where you lose track of what it was supposed to be about in the beginning.

When reading articles I'm sometimes struck by comparisons to the 2017 flu epidemic in Australia which killed 1257 people here. You could just as easily insert that flu for Covid-19 - it was a new strain - very nasty - killed a lot of people - way more than Covid-19. Were those lives less precious? This is where the truth gets twisted and used to justify things like mass personal surveillance.

The Hong Kong protest i saw as making a fantastic stand in the battle of data control - now that seems to have been quashed - or relegated to 'not important in the circumstances'. That's a shame coz now we need that kind of pushback - especially from our young people like in Hong Kong - against this insipid data scraping more than ever.

The Data War

by dan @, Friday, April 17, 2020, 19:41 (119 days ago) @ dulan drift

I'm just struck by the incongruity of it all. There's something here that just doesn't add up for me. The fatality rate seems to be increasingly low as we understand that the infection rate is higher than we first thought. Shutting the entire world down for this does not seem to make sense. Am I missing something? Yes, a lot of people get sick, but most of them don't, and among those who do, not that many die.

I just don't get it.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Monday, April 20, 2020, 11:12 (117 days ago) @ dan

I'm just struck by the incongruity of it all. There's something here that just doesn't add up for me. The fatality rate seems to be increasingly low as we understand that the infection rate is higher than we first thought. Shutting the entire world down for this does not seem to make sense. Am I missing something? Yes, a lot of people get sick, but most of them don't, and among those who do, not that many die.

I just don't get it.

Yep - it's a matter of asking basic questions like the one above. 'Non-truth' answers whereby you can't speak the 'real' truth to the public because of blah blah reason - that can't cut it anymore. There's too much at stake.

Taiwan is a good example. Taiwan is a country - democratic progressive successful - but no one is game to say it. Most countries parrot China's assertion that Taiwan is a province of China. That's telling a whopper. You can argue there are reasons for lying - money - fear of China - but you can't argue that it's not a lie. From that false premise - a lot of global policy has been built.

Now we're getting fed a stream of whoppers about the virus such as you outlined which are being used to justify data tracking? To quote an old Angels song: No way - get fucked - fuck off!

The Data War

by dulan drift, Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 07:25 (116 days ago) @ dulan drift

Here's an article about how the CCP is making its move against HK democracy activists under cover of the virus. By arresting leading advocates of the movement they are automatically barred from running in elections if they are found guilty - which they will be. The move would normally spark mass street protests but the virus lockdown prevents that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/china-is-using-the-pandemic-as-...

The Data War

by dan @, Tuesday, April 21, 2020, 16:09 (115 days ago) @ dulan drift

When this all started, it struck me that there was an increased chance of China actually making a move on Taiwan, either militarily in the form of a blockade or in a softer manner, and indeed there was, and I think still is, an increase in excursions of both Chinese and US military around Taiwan.

The US military is certainly in a weakened state, and with all the attention on the virus, and Americans generally not knowing or caring where or what Taiwan is in the best of times, China must be weighing its options.

So I still think it's a remote possibility that China might try to further clip the wings of Taiwan during this period, just as they're doing with the HK democracy movement. Nobody is watching, and the US certainly doesn't have the political will right now to do anything but take care of itself.

Also, the economy in China is tanking, like everywhere else. Sooner or later, this is going to cause an increase in political pressure on Chinese leadership, and a nifty little conflict would go great lengths to refocusing that anger and rebuilding nationalism. I can see a false flag event in the Strait, Chinese fishing vessels being sunk or, even more convenient, military vessels or aircraft damaged or soldiers killed. That would be enough for China to call for a blockade on Taiwan, for the protection of Taiwanese of course.

I don't think all of that will happen, but it's certainly more likely now than before the virus started.

The Data War

by dan @, Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 07:13 (115 days ago) @ dan

Here's an article that just came out yesterday on this topic:

China rattles sabres as world battles coronavirus pandemic

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-china-security/china-rattles-sabres-as-world-battles...

The Data War

by dulan drift, Wednesday, April 22, 2020, 09:15 (115 days ago) @ dan

Yes i'm sure the government in Taiwan is on high alert. There was a strange incident a few weeks ago where some Chinese gangster type figures in speed boats rammed a Taiwan coast guard patrol - i did wonder if that was meant to be a trigger type action such as you mentioned. How can a humble fisherman afford to do so much damage to his boat?

Meanwhile, countries around the world are rolling out surveillance apps like there's no tomorrow - also 'for our own good'. Before we go overboard with any more draconian big-brother measures let's get through a year and check the statistics to find out if the final death toll is any worse than a nasty flu season. No doubt some people will say 'Well it would have been much worse if we hadn't taken all these measures!' but there are going to be plenty of countries that for various reasons haven't done much so we can still get a pretty good baseline measure.

According to the WHO's own website, up to 650 000 people die annually from 'normal flu'. We're currently up to 178, 000 deaths from corona virus. The approximate average age of those deaths is 80 (as it is with normal flu) - all of whom had other serious illnesses.

If it turns out that it's no worse than a bad flu season, then who's going to accept accountability for wrecking the world economy and ramping up the big-brother state for no reason?

The Data War

by dulan drift, Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 11:38 (108 days ago) @ dulan drift

Here's something that's alarming: A video by two doctors questioning the need for 'shelter in place' regulations - in a similar vein to the questions we've been raising - was removed from Youtube:

"We quickly remove flagged content that violate our Community Guidelines, including content that explicitly disputes the efficacy of local healthy authority recommended guidance on social distancing that may lead others to act against that guidance."

Chief executive (of Youtube, a Google owned company), Susan Wojcicki added: “anything that would go against World Health Organization recommendations” would be seen as "problematic" and removed.

Even more alarming is that i now find myself reading Fox News just to get some alternative analysis of what's going on! I'm a Guardian and Washington Post subscriber but they are pushing a tightly controlled narrative that appears to be in lockstep with the lockdown approach. The media's job is to ask questions and report information - not to be telling us what to think because someone's decided that distorting or concealing the truth is for our own good. I'll decide what's for my own good - just give me the fucking facts.

The Data War

by dan @, Wednesday, April 29, 2020, 16:19 (107 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is fascinating, and it confirms one of my suspicions, that many of these covid deaths are actually people who died of something else and covid was listed as the cause, or who had a leg in the grave already and covid pushed them in. One of the doctors touches on this at about 32 minutes. I haven't finished the video yet.

Thanks for sharing!

The Data War

by dan @, Thursday, April 30, 2020, 14:33 (107 days ago) @ dulan drift

I find it particularly odd that this would be blocked when they were basing their comments largely on CDC data.

Here's a fun experiment that will never happen. Let's pick two states with roughly the same number of cases relative to population. Keep one on lockdown, open the other up, then measure deaths by all causes and see what we find.

Also, we can measure health and domestic crime rates and diet.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Friday, May 01, 2020, 07:01 (106 days ago) @ dan

Here's a fun experiment that will never happen. Let's pick two states with roughly the same number of cases relative to population. Keep one on lockdown, open the other up, then measure deaths by all causes and see what we find.

Also, we can measure health and domestic crime rates and diet.

Great idea! Actually we will get some indication with what Sweden is doing. People are saying 'Oh Sweden has a high number of deaths compared to Denmark and Finland' but that's disingenuous coz the no lock down strategy is not meant to be measured as a day-by-day thing - of course there will be more cases in the beginning - there's supposed to be - but it's about who comes out best in the end. That includes damage to the economy and all the repercussions of that.
As you said, measure the total number of deaths from all causes - not just virus deaths - in say one year, two year's time.

Re the data companies getting involved, now it seems Facebook has waded in. I always used to defend FB on the grounds that it provided a platform for many protest groups to organize and co-ordinate, but now they are taking down pages that are trying to organize protests against the lock down.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Tuesday, May 05, 2020, 18:42 (101 days ago) @ dulan drift

Got this creepy text message from 'Aus Gov' today.

"Coronavirus Aus Gov msg: Help us to keep you safe and ease restrictions by downloading the COVID-Safe app now: (download link)"

Funny how it says 'ease restrictions'. In order for 'us' to ease restrictions imposed upon you by 'us' - first hand over your gps coordinates - so us can restrict you even better!

The Data War

by dulan drift, Thursday, May 07, 2020, 08:58 (100 days ago) @ dulan drift

The thing about a Data War is that the internet is a global phenomenon - it's not limited by country borders. When people talk about the threat of globalism - it's only the internet that can enable the worst case scenario of a worldwide big-brother command centre. A key to that would be access to everyone's physical location at any given time.

In the case of the tracking apps being introduced in the name of the virus, even if a country like NZ, which may have the best of intentions, that data is still vulnerable to being hacked by another country which may not have the best of intentions.

If i'm a CCP higher up for example then I'm going to:

(a) recognize that the internet and data mining is not going out of style in the near future
(b) collect as much of that data as possible through whatever means i can
(c) use it to consolidate my own position in power and track any threats to that power

An example of that, was reported in the Taipei Times today:

"An initial probe found that the hackers used Internet protocol addresses registered in Europe as springboards to implant backdoor programs and malware into servers at Taiwan’s health agencies, medical research centers and Centers for Disease Control offices to steal critical information and files, they said."

The article states that the "National Security Bureau officials yesterday identified the sources of the cyberattacks as China and Russia."

The Data War

by dan @, Thursday, May 14, 2020, 15:40 (92 days ago) @ dulan drift

Well, exactly. I'm a bit of a nut when it comes to privacy. I use a VPN all the time, both on my phone and my PC. I use encrypted email, and I encrypt everything I store on the cloud before it leaves my computer. I don't have social media profiles, and I surely won't be loading tracking apps to my phone. If I'm required to, I'll seriously consider giving up the phone.

Granted, I do have the location thingy enabled on my phone, and I do use Google Maps all the time when in unfamiliar places, and it's great! GPS is a fabulous technology. So it's a trade off and I accept that. But when it comes to the state requiring that I essentially wear a digital tracking device when I've done nothing wrong, well, I'll give up the device.

The question then becomes, do you need the device to do things like fly or get on a train. And the answer already in many parts of the world is yes, you do.

The next leap, the next big leap to all this, is implants, which are already happening. I believe they put them in the fleshy part of the palm, but I'm sure there are options, particularly for paraplegics. (Yeah, that was my attempt at dark humor.)

Many of these changes will be gradual, even generational. They don't have to chip everybody all at once, though the Nazis tried using the technology of the day. It will be rolled out gradually and people will willingly get chipped to simplify their lives. It will be a status thing, sort of like iphones are now. or lots of followers on the dipshit social media platform of the hour.

All this is already happening, just on the fringe. It's already a status thing.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 18:37 (79 days ago) @ dan

Here's a freaky one. YouTube censoring clips critical of CCP. Sounds unbelievable but appears to be true. You Tube has some half-arsed excuse - blaming it on a glitch - but not sure that makes sense.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/may/27/youtube-investigates-automatic-delet...

The Data War

by dan @, Wednesday, May 27, 2020, 19:56 (79 days ago) @ dulan drift

Well, without even getting through the second paragraph, it's clear their excuse is bullshit:

"The company said the filtering appeared to be “an error” amid a greater reliance on automated systems during the coronavirus pandemic because its human reviewers have been sent home."

For fuck sake, I work from home, full on, for two companies. This is an absolute bullshit excuse.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Friday, June 12, 2020, 22:46 (63 days ago) @ dan

Zoom seemed suss from the start - now they've shown their true colors by cutting off accounts from HK protesters at the behest of CCP.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/12/zoom-admits-cutting-off-activists-account...

The Data War

by dulan drift, Tuesday, June 16, 2020, 06:46 (60 days ago) @ dulan drift

Norway suspends virus-tracing app due to privacy concerns.

Finally some dissent on a state level.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 10:31 (58 days ago) @ dulan drift

CCP's new 'National Security Law' for HK involves a back door for allowing extradition - for those accused of "secession, subversion, terrorism and foreign interference" - actually it's more like front a door.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/grave-cause-for-concern-hongkongers-could...

The Data War

by dan @, Thursday, June 18, 2020, 11:26 (58 days ago) @ dulan drift

I'd be catching the next plane, boat, hot air balloon, or jet ski to Taiwan.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Friday, June 19, 2020, 06:13 (57 days ago) @ dan

"Qatar has continued to make a Covid-19 tracing app mandatory even as the kingdom has relaxed its lockdown, and despite security loopholes that exposed the personal information of more than a million users. Being caught outside without a phone carrying the app is punishable by a fine of up to £43,000 or up to three years in jail.

In Hangzhou, a Chinese city of 10 million people, authorities announced last month that they would seek to expand their coronavirus app to gather more comprehensive health and personal data.

Under the proposal, an individual’s status would be colour-coded and scored out of 100 based on medical records as well as other lifestyle choices such as smoking, drinking alcohol, or hours slept."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/18/coronavirus-mass-surveillance-could-be-he...

In Australia, people continue to download the tracking app (over 50%). In all the time it's been used, it's resulted in zero cases of virus detection in Victoria - the second most populous state. Can't find any info for the other states but it's probably zero as well.

So if it's not working as a virus tracking app then you have to ask why go to all this expense to implement it?

The Data War

by dulan drift, Friday, June 19, 2020, 13:29 (57 days ago) @ dulan drift

Australia's PM announced today that Australia was currently under cyber-attack from "a state-based actor, with very significant capabilities.”

He wouldn't name the "actor" but we can take a pretty good guess.

“This activity is targeting Australian organisations across a range of sectors, including all levels of government, industry, political organisations, education, health, essential service providers and operators of other critical infrastructure."

My guess is they're going after the tracking data.

It's similar to the gain-of-function experiments - they don't achieve anything - they just present significant opportunity for something to go wrong.

The Data War

by dan @, Friday, June 19, 2020, 17:00 (56 days ago) @ dulan drift

This article fits into this puzzle in some way. I only just sped read it, and I'm going to have to read it again more closely, but the gist is that there are databases of faces being shared without any consent. I had never heard of IARPA. I'd heard of DARPA. Apparently DARPA has a cousin.

https://www.ft.com/content/cf19b956-60a2-11e9-b285-3acd5d43599e

The Data War

by dulan drift, Saturday, June 20, 2020, 22:13 (55 days ago) @ dan

Great article. Wish there was more alarm about this but there doesn't seem to be.

In fact, recognising a face is only the first step of biometric surveillance, he suggests. “It’s really like an entry-level term to much broader, deeper analysis of people’s biometrics. There’s jaw recognition — the width of your jaw can be used to infer success as CEO, for example. Companies such as Boston-based Affectiva are doing research that analyses faces in real time, to determine from a webcam or in-store camera if someone is going to buy something in your store.”

Other analyses, he adds, can be used to determine people’s tiredness, skin quality and heart rate, or even to lip-read what they are saying. “Face recognition is a very deceiving term, technically, because there’s no limit,” he concludes. “It ends ultimately only with your DNA.” 

The other thing was a reference to Duke University and a collaboration with China on facial recognition technology. Duke University keeps cropping up in research i've done. For example, i noticed that the only other researchers explicitly supporting the pangolin theory were from Duke - who in turn operate a jointly run university in - guess where - Wuhan - which in turn houses a joint research facility. https://dukekunshan.edu.cn/en/whu-duke-research-institute

The Data War

by dulan drift, Monday, June 22, 2020, 11:54 (54 days ago) @ dulan drift

Another thing about your facial recognition post - i wonder how Zoom fits into all this? If facial recognition can be learned from YouTube then i assume it can do it with Zoom - the only social media giant that's allowed in both China and the US.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Tuesday, June 23, 2020, 18:30 (52 days ago) @ dulan drift

China deploys last piece of it's GPS satellite network.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53132957

The Data War

by dulan drift, Sunday, July 05, 2020, 05:39 (41 days ago) @ dulan drift

"The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region shall carry out national security education through schools, social organisations, the media and the Internet etc to develop national security education, to raise the national security awareness and law-abiding awareness of the residents."

God help the kids of HK.

The Data War

by dan @, Sunday, July 05, 2020, 06:23 (41 days ago) @ dulan drift

God help the teachers too! Can you imagine having to teach and enforce that shit when just a few weeks ago you were out demonstrating?

The Data War

by dulan drift, Monday, July 20, 2020, 14:38 (26 days ago) @ dan

God help the teachers too! Can you imagine having to teach and enforce that shit when just a few weeks ago you were out demonstrating?

The security laws instilled a chilling effect that's for sure. The airport staff were organizing protests not long ago - we're a long way from there now.

Noticed there were two outbreaks in China the last few days that triggered lockdowns. They occurred in Xinjiang and HK. That’s just a coincidence right?

The Data War

by dan @, Monday, July 20, 2020, 16:29 (25 days ago) @ dulan drift

That's an excellent point. What a coincidence!

Here's a disturbing interview in which the Chinese Ambassador to the UK tries to explain prisoners getting loaded on to trains i Xinjiang.

https://www.reddit.com/r/geopolitics/comments/hu25hq/bbc_asks_chinese_ambassador_to_the...

The Data War

by dulan drift, Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 18:55 (24 days ago) @ dan

That's an excellent point. What a coincidence!

Here's a disturbing interview in which the Chinese Ambassador to the UK tries to explain prisoners getting loaded on to trains i Xinjiang.

https://www.reddit.com/r/geopolitics/comments/hu25hq/bbc_asks_chinese_ambassador_to_the...

Hmm, good job getting the footage, whoever did that. Do you think it was secretly filmed by an activist or official video that was somehow obtained by one?

The Data War

by dan @, Tuesday, July 21, 2020, 20:12 (24 days ago) @ dulan drift

It's hard to say. I looked for the source of this on BBC and couldn't find it, but I've seen loads of similarly incriminating videos out of Xinjiang. The fact is that there is undeniable genocide going on, and the world basically doesn't care.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Thursday, July 23, 2020, 16:27 (22 days ago) @ dan

It's hard to say. I looked for the source of this on BBC and couldn't find it, but I've seen loads of similarly incriminating videos out of Xinjiang. The fact is that there is undeniable genocide going on, and the world basically doesn't care.

There's a reason why the world doesn't care. The CCP has gone to a lot of trouble over the last few decades to influence the influencers - academics, politicos, and/or business people.

There's talk of a Cold War, or even a Hot War, but the thing is we were already in a war - we just didn't know it (you did Dan - you were yelling it from the rooftop) - it's the Data War.

The Data War

by dan @, Saturday, July 25, 2020, 16:48 (20 days ago) @ dulan drift

I'm just posting this here as it's latest of many relevant topics that this site might be useful for.

http://gen.lib.rus.ec/

I have not spent much time on it and as a link sharing site one would be wise to be careful about what one downloads, but it does appear to provide access to a lot of materials that are generally behind paywalls.

The Data War

by dan @, Friday, July 31, 2020, 19:26 (14 days ago) @ dulan drift

Now the data war is entering a new stage on these fronts:

1. Vaccines
2. Social media access and dominance
3. Elections

The Data War

by dulan drift, Saturday, August 01, 2020, 07:22 (14 days ago) @ dan

Now the data war is entering a new stage on these fronts:

1. Vaccines
2. Social media access and dominance
3. Elections

Yeah, the elections in HK have been cancelled and there are arguments in the US about how to conduct their own elections.

We also discussed 'money' as a data war front before. Looks like China, with good reason, is going after the US dollar's preeminence, by way of a digital currency. If they can get all the Belt and Road countries paying off their debt forever with a new currency then that's half the world converted right there.

The Data War

by dulan drift, Monday, August 03, 2020, 11:37 (12 days ago) @ dulan drift

Chinese 'front-line health workers' are descending on HK to conduct sweeping virus testing. Residents fear this is a DNA gathering and surveillance exercise. They only have around 100 new cases a day - hard to see why they need Chinese workers to conduct testing to cover that.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-53633446

The Data War

by dan @, Monday, August 03, 2020, 15:09 (12 days ago) @ dulan drift

That's a disturbing thought, and a rational fear.

Vic State of Disaster

by dulan drift, Monday, August 03, 2020, 18:46 (11 days ago) @ dan

The southern state of Victoria has declared a State of Disaster. This declaration "gives authorities the ability to suspend Acts of Parliament and take possession of properties."

That sounds like carte blanche.

Melbourne residents are currently under curfew.

It's only been instituted once before, 7 months ago by the same premier, Daniel Andrews, during the Victorian 2020 bushfires, which claimed 3 lives in Vic (the worst impact was in NSW).

There's also talk of police being granted powers to demand access to people's phones to check gps tracking and whether they have violated lockdown rules.

Andrews is the only Australian premier to have signed up for a Belt & Road project.

Google in China

by dulan drift, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 07:01 (11 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is strange. Google, which was banned from China in 2010, opened an AI research centre in Beijing in 2018. What's up with that?

Pompeo says (without concrete evidence that i can immediately find) that research from the facility is being employed in the surveillance of Uyghurs.

There is already an extensive list of Western universities, researchers, and companies collaborating with China on AI research, now it appears Google is involved. That's a frightening combination. Between them they would have the personal info of pretty much everyone on the planet.

Google in China

by dan @, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 07:29 (11 days ago) @ dulan drift

AI scares the crap out of me. A number of big thinkers, including Stephen Hawking if I'm not mistaken, have stated that AI is the biggest threat to face humanity by far. Yes, didn't take long to find: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

Deepfakes are frightening enough, but then there's all the data wizardry that will be possible and, of course, used for surveillance.

Here are some random links I've bookmarked on the topic, most from months ago:

https://www.inverse.com/article/53280-this-person-does-not-exist-gans-website
Here's the site it references: https://thispersondoesnotexist.com/

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019/01/business/pentagons-race-against-deepfakes/

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/01/artificial-intelligence-turns-brain-activity-sp... (And if it can turn brain activity into speech, it means it can monitor and record brain activity! I mean, to turn it into speech, it first has to understand it.)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jun/28/chinas-social-credit-system-could-interfe... (Not directly related to AI, but you can be sure they'll apply AI to this Orwellian system.)

https://pathmind.com/wiki/generative-adversarial-network-gan

AI Developments

by dulan drift, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 13:04 (11 days ago) @ dan

That's some scary shit. It does feel like the virus has opened up a window for all this kind of stuff.

Noticed this today from Victoria where they've declared the State of Disaster:

"On at least four occasions in the last week, we've had to smash the windows of cars and pull people out to provide details because they weren't adhering to the Chief Health Officer's guidelines, they weren't providing their name and address."

AI Developments

by dan @, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 14:15 (11 days ago) @ dulan drift

The good news is that in the near future, smashing car windows won't be necessary because AI will tell the officers who is in the car, where they just came from, who they've been near in the last 72 hours, their blood type, complete DNA profile, political affiliations, and current blood oxygen levels!

AI Developments

by dulan drift, Tuesday, August 04, 2020, 17:00 (10 days ago) @ dan

The good news is that in the near future, smashing car windows won't be necessary because AI will tell the officers who is in the car, where they just came from, who they've been near in the last 72 hours, their blood type, complete DNA profile, political affiliations, and current blood oxygen levels!

There's a movie scene right there!

What Hawkings said - it just seems logical that it will come to pass. We didn't invent thought - thought invented us - we're it's vehicle - the next model is AI - a better one - it's bound to become predominant.

Weirdly, i'm ok with that - more worried about the interim period when a select pool of power-crazed humans are still able to wield it.

For whatever reason, the virus has given this data-grab a tremendous leap forward.

WeChat

by dulan drift, Friday, August 07, 2020, 10:46 (8 days ago) @ dulan drift

"WeChat is sometimes described as being a social network, but it's really so much more... It is perhaps best thought of as being a kind of secondary operating system that sits on top of iOS or Android.

It is also viewed as being a key instrument in China's internal surveillance apparatus - requiring local users who have been accused of spreading malicious rumours to register a facial scan and voice print."

People watch movies and wonder what an AI future will look like. We're already in it - it looks like this.

WeChat

by dan @, Friday, August 07, 2020, 20:09 (7 days ago) @ dulan drift

I'm of the view that the time-tested approach of reciprocity should be used. You ban Google? We ban WeChat. It's that simple. And reciprocity should be demanded full scale. You demand access to databases, we demand access to databases.

I work with people in China all the time who can't access foreign social networks. Why countries have been giving full access to Chinese social media platforms when China is blocking theirs makes no sense to me. This is one of the few points on which I agree with the current administration. But I don't think they're approaching it in the right way. They should be demanding full reciprocity.

Jimmy Lai

by dulan drift, Monday, August 10, 2020, 12:50 (5 days ago) @ dan

Jimmy Lai is a hero of our times. Started out in a sweatshop and worked his way up to founding Giordano. With the money from that he launched Apple Daily and Next - which became frontline publications in the data war with the CCP.

“I’m a troublemaker. I came here with nothing, the freedom of this place has given me everything. Maybe it’s time I paid back for that freedom by fighting for it."

He's now been arrested under HK's new security laws.

Jimmy Lai

by dan @, Monday, August 10, 2020, 15:41 (4 days ago) @ dulan drift

I had no idea he founded Giordano. I used to buy their clothes often in Kaohsiung.

I wonder when the world will realize that China is out to take it over. One often hears the defense that China has never invaded another country, which is absolute bullshit. It's invading land in the South and East China Seas that isn't theirs as I type. Tibet might have an issue with that sentiment as well. And Taiwan has never, ever, ever been part of the PRC. That's just an undeniable fact.

RSS Feed of thread