Taiwan coffee (Food)

by dan, Friday, December 30, 2011, 11:34 (4472 days ago)

Here's a blog posting with lots of pictures of a coffee growing area in Pingtung County. Dawu Village is near the trail head that one can take to climb North Dawu Mountain. Apparently it's possible to hike to Taitung County on this trail.

http://blog.xuite.net/seahong/red1/45657118

You can Google 大武村咖啡 for more results. Coffee is growing everywhere in this area, and although it was obviously cultivated, there appeared to be many untended trees that were doing just fine, full of beans.

[image]

Tags:
coffee, 大武村

Taiwan coffee

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, January 09, 2012, 15:12 (4462 days ago) @ dan

I just bought 50 coffee plants! Hopefully i can get on the map in a couple of years time.

Taiwan coffee

by dan, Monday, January 09, 2012, 15:35 (4462 days ago) @ dulan drift

I think it's a great thing to grow if you have space. It's a cash crop with a long shelf life. My understanding is that a lot of Taiwan coffee gets shipped off to Japan, but even here it sells for NT350/pound and up. I've seen it in Chenggong for NT300+ per half pound.

If I grew it, I'd probably end up consuming a great deal of my harvest.

Taiwan coffee

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, January 09, 2012, 22:49 (4462 days ago) @ dan

If I grew it, I'd probably end up consuming a great deal of my harvest.

Apparently the monkeys like consuming it too. Which is a worry - coz, being coffee, the more they eat - the more energetic they would get about consuming it.

Taiwan coffee

by dan, Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 16:38 (4461 days ago) @ dulan drift

I would be tempted to invest in a good slingshot.

I wonder if the monkeys got hooked if they'd start demanding lattes or something.

Taiwan coffee

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 19:08 (4461 days ago) @ dan

I wonder if the monkeys got hooked if they'd start demanding lattes or something.

Ha!
Don't the Indonesians prize the coffee beans that have been eaten then crapped out by some kind of animal? Picking up the monkey shit could make for an interesting speciality. Crappachino. Only in Xing Chang.

Taiwan coffee

by dan, Tuesday, January 10, 2012, 19:21 (4461 days ago) @ dulan drift

I have heard that, and in fact I was just told by my better half that in Taiwan, guozili coffee poop is extremely highly prized.

It appears there's a market for coffee shit. I suppose an unscrupulous person could just rub monkey or guozili turds onto their beans and double the price.

On a more serious note, I wonder if there's something to it. There's a PhD dissertation in there somewhere.

RSS Feed of thread