94W (Weather)

by dan, Sunday, December 11, 2011, 14:55 (4491 days ago)

It looks like there's potential for this system to dump a lot of rain on us. This is similar to the system that dumped 400+ of rain on us a couple of weeks ago.

[image]

94W

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, December 12, 2011, 20:06 (4490 days ago) @ dan

[image]
Looking at the sat and seeing that it's raining pretty well here, i'd hate to think what they are going to get in Vietnam. That looks like a large, slow moving disaster area heading their way. Hope they are getting ready.
It's interesting how the pattern this year has been to hold the line due west. Guess that's what caused the floods in Thailand.
But yeah, the outflow is feeding right into the monsoon and reacting with it and there seems to be a significant eddy of activity just to the east of us that's more evident in your pic than mine. Sure it will bob up again later.

94W

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, December 15, 2011, 12:24 (4487 days ago) @ dulan drift

The next morning after i posted that sat pic and warning of what looked like a major low pressure system it almost completely dissolved - odd - guess it was weaker than it looked.
Still, a very strange season - two more lows lining up and again following the same path. Would love to know what the record amounts of rainfall are for Nov and Dec in Taidong - daresay we must have given nov a shake.[image]

94W

by dan, Thursday, December 15, 2011, 21:30 (4487 days ago) @ dulan drift

Yea, I noticed that 94W just seemed to vanish. This being my first winter on the east coast, it's hard for me to know what to make of the weather so far. In the Kao-ping region (SW Taiwan), October to May is normally extremely dry, with some slight rainfall. Pingtung regularly goes eight, even twelve weeks without a drop of rain the in winter, so I've been surprised by the amount of rain we've had here in Taitung so far. Is it normal? I'm guessing from the tone of your posting that it is not.

94W

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, December 15, 2011, 22:37 (4487 days ago) @ dan

The average rainfall for Taidong (according to CWB):
Nov: 79.2ml, Dec: 40.5ml, Jan: 30.5, Feb:40.2, Mar 40.5 - so pretty dry.
In the two previous years that i have been here it has actually been much less than that - about half - so this year is off the chart. There has been a change to La Nina so i wonder if that is a factor.
And i carted all this automatic watering gear back from Australia - haven't been able to turn it on yet!

RSS Feed of thread