Indian Ocean dipole (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, November 24, 2019, 03:43 (1587 days ago)

This seems to be the latest phenomenon. Responsible for widespread floods in east Africa that have killed scores of people. Not sure if it's also causing the drought here

"The extreme weather is blamed on the Indian Ocean dipole, a climate system defined by the difference in sea surface temperature between western and eastern areas of the ocean. The ocean off east Africa is far warmer than usual, resulting in higher evaporation resulting in rain over the continent."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/nov/23/kenya-landslides-kill-29-as-homes-swept-a...

Indian Ocean dipole

by dan, Tuesday, November 26, 2019, 12:12 (1584 days ago) @ dulan drift

Another ocean anomaly to keep you eye on is changes in the Atlantic sub polar gyre. I need to do more research on this, but I think I've read that a weakening in the sub polr gyre could actually result in a massive cooling down in coastal NW Europe, particularly Britain, Ireland, and thereabouts, due to a decrease in the flow of warmer southern waters making it up there.

Of course, climate change deniers will use this as proof that global warming and related climate change doesn't exist.

EDIT: One thing I don't remember about this is whether this weakening is due to melting Arctic ice. I believe the article did relate it to global warming somehow. I'll look for it.

Indian Ocean dipole

by dan, Friday, October 22, 2021, 19:38 (888 days ago) @ dulan drift

I had a brief discussion today with someone educated in ocean currents, and he pointed out that eastern Japan is influenced by two merging currents, the Oyashio from the north and Kuroshio from the south. I'm curious about the extent to which these currents shift on a yearly or monthly basis. Or do they?

[image]

In any case, in reading up on the matter in the highly acclaimed resource of Wikipedia, I came across the following, which is fascinating. (All sarcasm aside, I think Wikipedia is, in fact, an excellent source of information given that you can follow citations. It kicks the shit out of the main stream media.) I've emphasized what I find really interesting. This bit exemplifies the extent to which currents affect climate :

Oyashio (親潮, "Parental Tide"), also known as Oya Siwo, Okhotsk or the Kurile current, is a cold subarctic ocean current that flows south and circulates counterclockwise in the western North Pacific Ocean. The waters of the Oyashio Current originate in the Arctic Ocean and flow southward via the Bering Sea, passing through the Bering Strait and transporting cold water from the Arctic Sea into the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Okhotsk. It collides with the Kuroshio Current off the eastern shore of Japan to form the North Pacific Current (or Drift). The nutrient-rich Oyashio is named for its metaphorical role as the parent (親, oya) that provides for and nurtures marine organisms.[1][2]

The current has an important impact on the climate of the Russian Far East, mainly in Kamchatka and Chukotka, where the northern limit of tree growth is moved south up to ten degrees compared with the latitude it can reach in inland Siberia. The waters of the Oyashio Current form probably the richest fishery in the world owing to the extremely high-nutrient content of the cold water and the very high tides (up to 10 metres (33 ft)) in some areas – which further enhances the availability of nutrients. However, the Oyashio Current also causes Vladivostok to be the most equatorward port to seasonally freeze and require icebreaking ships to remain open in winter. Nonetheless, this has relatively little effect on the fish yield through the Sea of Okhotsk, because the large tides mean freezing does not occur so easily.

During glacial periods, when lower sea level exposed the Bering land bridge, the current could not flow in the regions the Oyashio affects today. The level of cooling with the onset of glacial conditions (after an interglacial) was much less than in other areas of the Earth at similar latitudes. This allowed Tōhoku and Hokkaidō – the only areas of East Asia with enough snowfall to potentially form glaciers – to remain unglaciated except at high elevations during periods when Europe and North America were largely glaciated. This lack of glaciation explains why, despite its present climate being much colder than most of Europe, East Asia has retained 96 percent of Pliocene tree genera, whereas Europe has retained only 27%.[citation needed]

Upwellings

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, October 23, 2021, 06:29 (887 days ago) @ dan

Think they call the one running parallel to Taiwan the hei-chao or black tide. Forming/embedded in it are upwellings - which bring cold water from the deep up to the surface. Have been swimming a few times where the water was significantly colder - even in summer.

As for Wikipedia - yeah it's a great concept but unfortunately became a target for United Front Work Dept type networks. Their censorship of anything remotely suggesting a lab-leak was every bit as ferocious as mainstream media. But still good for non-political topics.

On your point, i always wondered why southern hemisphere climate doesn't necessarily co-relate with equidistant northern hemisphere climate. For example there will be snow in Europe/US during winter but not in Australia at the same distance from the equator.

RSS Feed of thread