Avalanche increase (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, October 02, 2019, 16:26 (1662 days ago)

Supposedly due to climate change - which thaws the permafrost which allows water in which creates cracks

Anyway, wouldn't want to be living in one of the 'idyllic Swiss villages' in the pic below - would seem crazy living in a place like that in Taiwan

The article is interesting. Liked the quote from the resident at the end:

“The mountains are always dangerous – we just underestimate it because they look so peaceful,” Giovanoli shrugs. “But you’re never safe in the mountains. Not 100%.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/02/things-are-getting-unstable-global-heatin...

[image]

Avalanche increase

by dan, Thursday, October 03, 2019, 18:07 (1661 days ago) @ dulan drift

This raises a question I've been thinking about lately. Where is the safest place, with regards to natural disasters, to live now?

I'm not interested because I actually want to live there. In fact I'd probably avoid it. But I'm curious. We see that dangers have risen in a number of locations, and assuming this trend will continue, where are the safe places?

It's an odd question because climate change will disrupt everything everywhere. A two inch snowfall in an area not accustomed to it is deadly. The other side of the coin is, will climate change make some areas safer? I rather doubt that, because, again, weather disruption, or change, usually causes problems.

Avalanche increase

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, October 03, 2019, 21:05 (1661 days ago) @ dan

That's a good question - would be nice if someone could make an interactive map!

In Australia i'd say maybe coastal areas south of the range of the worst cyclones. Still getting reasonable rainfall - temps moderated by coastal humidity. But it's a narrowing band. Most inland areas are basically gone.

Avalanche increase

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, October 04, 2019, 17:28 (1660 days ago) @ dan

All set!

[image]

Avalanche increase

by dan, Friday, October 04, 2019, 18:51 (1660 days ago) @ dulan drift

Is this for smoke or spraying? Or SARS?

RSS Feed of thread