Veronica and Trevor (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, March 21, 2019, 19:16 (1834 days ago)

These two cyclones deserve a joint thread. Both predicted to make landfall in Aus as cat 4's, within the same 24hrs of each other!

I'd be surprised if that's happened before.

Veronica looks like the more dangerous one given it's cranking up to 5, only dropping to 4 as it interacts with land. It's currently at 4

Not entirely convinced Trevor will get to 4 - it's already in the Gulf so not a lot of space to work with before landfall - it will be impressive if it does. It's currently at 2.

1. Trevor eye landfall around 11am-1pm on Sat, Mar 23

[image]

2. Veronica eye landfall, around 5am, Sat 24

[image]

Veronica and Trevor

by dan, Friday, March 22, 2019, 07:25 (1834 days ago) @ dulan drift

I saw one report that Veronica may stall just as it hits land.

Veronica and Trevor

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, March 23, 2019, 07:40 (1833 days ago) @ dan

Luckily, they are not heavily populated areas and there has been a concerted evacuation program, but i'd be worried about my house if i lived in either of those areas.

Seems Trevor did hit cat 4 after all

[image]

Below is the weather chart for Monday - interesting that it's predicted to drop 200mm in a 3 hr period - in the middle of the desert!

[image]

Veronica and Trevor

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, March 23, 2019, 20:33 (1832 days ago) @ dulan drift

It's surprising how little rain cyclones carry in Australia - two cat 4's - neither has dropped more than 100 mm anywhere in the last 24 hrs.

Looking at the radar images, they are nothing like what we would see in Taiwan where they're full of menacing red

[image]

[image]

Veronica and Trevor

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, March 24, 2019, 07:04 (1832 days ago) @ dulan drift

Veronica just crossing the coast now.

Haven't heard too much about Trevor in the media so guess it passed through without major incident.

[image]

Veronica and Trevor

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, March 25, 2019, 05:55 (1831 days ago) @ dulan drift

Veronica has turned out to be the more serious storm due mainly to its slow pace. The Australian Bureau of Meteorology is not as good as CWB in terms of tracking rainfall and i can't quite work it out. On one hand they're saying a place called Upper North Pole (which i guess is some kind of joke coz the town is just near Marble Bar, which is one of the hottest places on the planet), has had 275mm since 9am today, which is a lot, but then if you look at how much it's had in the last 24hrs it says 49mm - go figure

[image]

[image]

Veronica and Trevor

by dan, Monday, March 25, 2019, 10:34 (1831 days ago) @ dulan drift

I've also found that the CWB does a far better job than the Japan weather bureau site. It could be that the CWB just does a better job of presenting the data. The Japan site (https://www.jma.go.jp/jma/indexe.html) leaves a lot to be desired, particularly when it comes to forecasting and measurements.

Veronica and Trevor

by dan, Monday, March 25, 2019, 15:54 (1830 days ago) @ dan

It appears the remnants of these cyclones are affecting a large portion of the country.

[image]

Veronica and Trevor

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, March 25, 2019, 17:11 (1830 days ago) @ dan

I've also found that the CWB does a far better job than the Japan weather bureau site. It could be that the CWB just does a better job of presenting the data.

Yes, i remember trying to track typhoons through Japan and finding it difficult to get data compared to CWB. As you said, presumably they've all got the same digital collection technology, it's just how do you present that to the public. Also liked CWB's 'top ten' chart - gives you immediate real-time data on where the action is.

Because large parts of Aus are so flat, systems, and their remnants can bowl along inland for quite a ways. There would be some places that have barely seen a drop of rain in five years getting 200 mil before lunchtime.

Everyone here talks about Cyclone Debbie in 2016, which wended it's way inland all the way down to where i am - it ended up dropping 600 mm in the mountains and over 300 here. In fact, according to the article, all the big floods here (1954, 1974, 2016) have been cyclone remnants.

After two days of insufferable heat we should get some incoming as soon as tonight. BOM (the Aus CWB) is predicting up to 45 mm on both of the next two days - so a decent downpour but not 'man the sandbags', supposedly.

Potentially, New Zealand could cop the worst of it - from the sat it looks like they're getting the combined outflow from both Trevor and Veronica. I hope that doesn't happen, they've had enough trauma there already.

[image]

[image]

Veronica and Trevor

by dan, Monday, March 25, 2019, 18:44 (1830 days ago) @ dulan drift

It looks like New Zealand is in for it. That system to the west of them looks similar to patterns we get this far north.

I'm missing the more temperate regions at this point. I suppose we are somewhat temperate in the sense that we don't see -20 and below, but I'd be happy to be living in the 10C to 35C range again. This business of snow in spring is nonsense. Who ever dreamed that up?

Veronica and Trevor

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, March 25, 2019, 22:15 (1830 days ago) @ dulan drift

Heres' the response i got from BOM:

"Thank you for contacting the Bureau of Meteorology.

The 24-hour rainfall maps are updated after 9am each day.
If you view them at 8am, for example, then they display the rainfall for the 24-hour period until 9am the day before.

The rainfall since 9am maps are updated hourly.

Kind Regards,

Weather Connect Officer"

That explains the discrepancy, but doesn't explain why the past 24 hr rain totals can be up to 24 hours out of date.

Nor does it explain why the 24 hr rainfall graphic says "updated at 04.25pm".

[image]

Veronica and Trevor

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 14:30 (1828 days ago) @ dulan drift

800 mm of rain in New Zealand - assume that was remnants from the cyclones. Some dramatic footage of a bridge being washed away.

https://youtu.be/H-Cp-u6Iigo

Veronica and Trevor

by dan, Friday, March 29, 2019, 07:31 (1827 days ago) @ dulan drift

Whoa! That's reminiscent of Morakot.

RSS Feed of thread