Taitung earthquake (General)

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, March 08, 2019, 12:00 (1877 days ago)

Taitung is rumbling again. 5.2 pretty close to Green Island - this is the fault that set off the one near Dulan we had a couple of years ago - see what happens this time

[image]

Taitung earthquake

by dan, Friday, March 08, 2019, 20:02 (1876 days ago) @ dulan drift

Here's a map of the last 7 days for 4.5+ earthquakes in the region. I felt the one near us. What strikes me about this is the broad distribution, and these are not minor earthquakes.

[image]

Taitung earthquake

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, March 09, 2019, 11:38 (1876 days ago) @ dan

So what do you think that means?

I have noticed a tendency for earthquakes to sequentially travel along a fault line - so will be watching out for that

Can't say that i miss earthquakes exactly, but they did get the blood pumping and it feels kinda weird living a in place without any.

Taitung earthquake

by dan, Saturday, March 09, 2019, 19:21 (1875 days ago) @ dulan drift

I don't know if it means anything other than we may be entering a period of increased activity, or it may just be coincidence. We drive up and down the coast here all the time and I find myself thinking, "You know, a tsunami could hit at any moment." It's the tsunami threat I worry about in this area.

Taitung earthquake

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, March 10, 2019, 07:02 (1875 days ago) @ dan

Haha, i also used to play this game in Taitung when i was waiting at traffic lights: 'What will i do if a tsunami hits right now? Climb up that pole and try to scramble onto that balcony? Try to drive out of it?'

Looking at the wikipedia table below, it appears last year may have been slightly above average in terms of overall earthquakes though probably not the Armageddon we warned of when the articles came out saying that a slowing of the earth's revolution speed would cause an upsurge in activity.

[image]

Did seem to be a lot of volcanoes erupting though. There were 77 eruptions from 71 volcanoes, including 36 'new' eruptions that started during the year.
https://volcano.si.edu/faq/index.cfm?question=eruptionsbyyear&checkyear=2018

Apparently there are about 1500 active volcanoes on earth of which about 50 erupt each year https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2018/12/photos-2018-the-year-in-volcanic-activity/578...

RSS Feed of thread