wiki - dictionary - home

Northern hemisphere summer - is this the big one? (Weather)

by dulan drift, Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 20:36 (39 days ago)

Ok, I'm calling it. Given what we've seen in Australia this summer, the coming northern instalment will be the one where we go over the top.

Here is an interesting list from a Guardian article of where we are now:

"Since 2005, the number of floods has increased by a factor of 15, extreme temperature events by a factor of 20, and wildfires sevenfold; topsoil is now being lost 10 to 40 times faster than it is being replenished by natural processes; the 20 warmest years since records began in 1850 have been in the past 22 years; vertebrate populations have fallen by an average of 60% since the 1970s, and insect numbers – vital for pollination – have declined even faster in some countries."

Then there's this:

"The paper warns of the vulnerability of food systems that rely on just five animal and 12 plant species to provide 75% of the world’s nutrition"

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/12/climate-and-economic-risks-threaten...

Northern hemisphere summer - is this the big one?

by dulan drift, Sunday, February 17, 2019, 20:08 (34 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is something i didn't understand before:

Methane, which comes from cows, is worse than CO2 as an planet warmer, but breaks down naturally in the atmosphere at a faster rate than CO2.

The bad news is that the amount of methane is climbing suggesting the break-down reaction is getting slower - possibly due to a 'tipping point' reached whereby the heat level is negatively impacting the chemical reaction in the atmosphere that causes the break-down.

Another pointer to us being about to enter hyper-drive?

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/feb/17/methane-levels-sharp-rise-threaten-...

by dan @, Monday, February 18, 2019, 07:31 (33 days ago) @ dulan drift

That is sort of what I fear, an unforeseen chain reaction of sorts.

Interesting article. This part was telling, "“It is particularly alarming because we are still not sure why atmospheric methane levels are rising across the planet.”

I'm surprised they didn't mention all the decaying material being added to the mix by the melting of ice and resulting exposure and thawing of organic material.

by dulan drift, Monday, February 18, 2019, 16:14 (33 days ago) @ dan

I'm surprised they didn't mention all the decaying material being added to the mix by the melting of ice and resulting exposure and thawing of organic material.

Yeah, that'll give it a spike!

What's going on in Australia this summer reminds me of the rumblings of a volcano - just before it blows.

What preparatory steps should we take? Forget saving the planet, just on a personal level. Is it too early for solar electrified security fencing around the vegie patch and chicken coop?

by dan @, Monday, February 18, 2019, 18:28 (33 days ago) @ dulan drift

I think we have a dangerously false sense of security when it comes to social order. I mean, consider how little it would take to disrupt international shipping, let alone shipping within a country's borders or even to the next city.

What we'll likely see is an increase in short term interruptions in all sorts of services, including air travel, ground transport, etc., due to extreme weather, fires, and floods. If those California fires continue every year, wow.

What happens if those fires encircle LA and cut off I-5 or other main arteries? You know how fast the shelves empty when a typhoon is approaching, right? And that's in a place that is accustomed to typhoons.

Being stuck in an airport or Walmart parking lot for days on end does not sound like fun. (People who escaped the Paradise, CA fire ended up camping in the nearest Walmart lot for months.)

by dulan drift, Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 18:52 (32 days ago) @ dan

That's a good break-down of how it might pan out - a rupturing of something simple we take for granted - which starts creating it's own weather

There was a landmark case in Australia recently where a court ruled against an application for a coal mine - amongst other reasons the judge cited climate change as a reason for rejecting the proposal. Too little too late, but is that a world first?

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/judge-rejects-nsw-coal-mine-citing-climate-change

by dulan drift, Friday, February 22, 2019, 18:19 (29 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is an interesting development - a Chinese port suddenly banned Australian coal this week - they cited 'environmental concerns' as a reason - though it's suspected to be payback for Australia banning Hua Wei. Anyway, it's really hitting Australia where it hurts. Australia is the planet's coal mine - one of the big ones anyway.

On the other side, i love the 'war of the worlds' coal photos coming out with the story

[image]

by dulan drift, Friday, February 22, 2019, 19:02 (29 days ago) @ dulan drift

This is not very scientific, but it is a bit - defrosting the fridge where i am staying (had to coz couldn't get tbe freezer door open) - there is a tipping point with ice melting - starts out slow - but then it really picks up steam. Then i added a 'major climate change event' in the form of a saucepan full of boiling water - whole ice shelves started collapsing causing flooding in the kitchen

by dulan drift, Tuesday, February 26, 2019, 18:24 (25 days ago) @ dulan drift

Ok, it's started - earlier than i thought. UK today broke a winter heat record with 20.6C, which doesn't sound that bad, but it's about double the average

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-47360952

by dulan drift, Thursday, March 07, 2019, 22:03 (16 days ago) @ dulan drift

Warmest winter in Taiwan on record supposedly, though records only go back to 1947.

2.2C higher than ave - which fits my theory that it's already 2C warmer - it's just a matter of where it goes from here

Warmest http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2019/03/07/2003711017

RSS Feed of thread