passing low (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 11:36 (4556 days ago)

Don't know if you looked at the radar last night, but it's almost unbelievable that we didn't get anything out of that. Seemed to be a huge rain band (dropped 200ml in the north) closing in on us. However, there must be a stream of dry air that runs down the south east coast and somehow it never made it across. Have noticed this phenomenon a few times before.

Whatever, today looks more promising with a blob coming up from the south from the passing low in the ppe - seems to get better access to us when it comes from that direction.

On a related matter, how many times this year have we seen that high sitting over the top of Taiwan blocking the lows from coming up this way? That high seems to be an immoveable thing this year.

passing low

by dan, Wednesday, November 02, 2011, 21:21 (4556 days ago) @ dulan drift

I didn't catch it last night but I did early this morning and it was still surprising that we weren't getting anything. We did end up getting some showers in Zhiben in the afternoon, and back north the sky has been fabulous this evening, with a wide variety of rings around the moon and generally very pleasant weather. Zhiben got some very moist, tropical air.

passing low 2

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, November 06, 2011, 11:51 (4552 days ago) @ dan

well, we got stuff all out of the last one (in fact it has rained for about a month here - unusual for this time of year) but there's another substantial low crossing ppe now - some of that should drift up our way - actually CWB has forecast lows to form either end of TW with a cold front joining them - surely that should spell rain! But hopefully not too much - i need to get to Taipei next weekend to catch a plane.[image]

passing low 2

by dan, Sunday, November 06, 2011, 15:14 (4552 days ago) @ dulan drift

We got an unusual south breeze last night for an hour or so. I'll be surprised if we don't get something out of this one.

passing low 2

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, November 06, 2011, 17:52 (4552 days ago) @ dan

We got an unusual south breeze last night for an hour or so. I'll be surprised if we don't get something out of this one.

That was strange coz there was nothing here - dead calm - sounds like an escaped strand of wind from the low?

Actually, even though it's ridiculously late, conditions would still seem ripe for typhoon formation - the dong bei ji fong is very mild so far compared to previous years and it's still warm.

passing low 2

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, November 07, 2011, 10:22 (4551 days ago) @ dulan drift

[image]
CWB are calling this a 50% chance of precipitation. You have to wonder if anyone there even bothers to look at their own radar images at times.
The good news is that we look certain to get a good drenching rain at last.

passing low 2

by dan, Monday, November 07, 2011, 16:05 (4551 days ago) @ dulan drift

We've been getting lots of wind this afternoon. It looks like the next day or so should get some interesting weather.

passing low 2

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, November 07, 2011, 19:17 (4551 days ago) @ dan

It looks like the next day or so should get some interesting weather.

Yeah, that's weird - haven't seen four big storm cells like that lined up before. I'll be interested to see how it pans out. Looking at the radar, 'our cell' hasn't really reached us yet, but it's raining pretty strong already with some nice gusts whistling through over the mountains.

passing low 2

by dan, Monday, November 07, 2011, 18:13 (4551 days ago) @ dulan drift

It looks like there's a major rain cell heading our way.

[image]

passing low 2

by dan, Monday, November 07, 2011, 18:21 (4551 days ago) @ dulan drift

Things seem to be shifting to our direction. 24W is heading east, and the four cells south and sw of Taiwan appears to be heading our way.

[image]

passing low 2

by dulan drift ⌂, Monday, November 07, 2011, 18:50 (4551 days ago) @ dan

amazing pic! Had strong wind coming down off the mountains today - that's unusual for here. Rainfall increased just on dark - don't know if it's a coincidence, but it often seems to pick up at night here.

passing low 2

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, November 08, 2011, 21:49 (4550 days ago) @ dulan drift

[image]
That's looks remarkably like a typhoon to me. And drifting this way - would seem the south west coast is going to cop the brunt of it.

passing low 2

by dan, Thursday, November 10, 2011, 19:43 (4548 days ago) @ dulan drift

Looks like this has become a stationary front with all sorts of peripheral activity. We had very strong winds about 2:30 this morning that lasted an hour at least. It could be an interesting weekend.

This is the type of weather that can do real damage if the thing stalls. Some of the worst flood damage I saw while living in Pingtung City was the result of monsoon rains lasting two or three weeks.

[image]

passing low 2

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, November 10, 2011, 21:55 (4548 days ago) @ dan

You think it's going to go into the weekend? i am still tossing up whether to go up to Taipei to do the market. I thought it might start to move past us tomorrow and be ok, but i am not that confident.
What do you think's up with the increase in rain as soon as it gets dark? Could it be the mountain wind that's bringing it across, a drop in temperature? I've noticed this before, but with this low it's happened 4 nights running. It can't just be coincidence.

passing low 2

by dan, Thursday, November 10, 2011, 22:15 (4548 days ago) @ dulan drift

The CWB is saying it's going to pass in a couple of days. We'll see.

RSS Feed of thread