Polar Vortex (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Thursday, January 31, 2019, 21:10 (1884 days ago)

No doubt some people (including your favourite politician, Dan) will say 'What global warming? Look, there is a record cold event going on through much of America!'

The thing is though that it's basically a wind event - so far as I can tell a polar vortex is when wind comes directly down off the arctic - which we know is melting at an alarming rate - so no cause for thinking global warming is abating

Whatever, sounds like another awesome natural phenomenon - people saying it even hurts to breathe it's so cold. While much of Australia is experiencing 40+C temps, I read it was -41C in Minnesota! I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Do you also get this polar vortex thing in Japan?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/31/cold-as-of-chicago-residents-make-best-...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/30/polar-vortex-us-weather-latest-temperat...

Polar Vortex

by dan, Friday, February 01, 2019, 12:58 (1883 days ago) @ dulan drift

That's insanely cold. I've experienced -20F (-28C) before and it's no fun at all. As far as I know, that sort of thing doesn't happen in Japan, though I suppose it could. The surrounding ocean seems to protect us from quite a lot of weather that happens on the large land masses, but also provides a lot of moisture. It's been snowing all day.

Here's what the idiot had to say about the polar vortex:

"In the beautiful Midwest, windchill temperatures are reaching minus 60 degrees, the coldest ever recorded. In coming days, expected to get even colder. People can’t last outside even for minutes. What the hell is going on with Global Waming? Please come back fast, we need you!"

The view out the classroom window.
[image]

Polar Vortex

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, February 01, 2019, 20:47 (1883 days ago) @ dan

That looks Siberian.

Will be interesting to see how the northern summer pans out - whether it will follow suit from Australia

Btw, I thought of a nursery rhyme you might like:

Trumpty Dumpty sat on his wall...

RSS Feed of thread