Earthquakes everywhere (General)

by dan, Sunday, August 19, 2018, 13:10 (2049 days ago)

I have this app on my phone that alerts me whenever there's a large earthquake, over 5.0 or so, anywhere in the world. It's been going off every day, sometimes multiple times a day, with quakes in the 5-6+ range, and some in the 7-8+ range.

It's definitely more active than usual.

Earthquakes everywhere

by dulan drift ⌂, Sunday, August 19, 2018, 21:09 (2049 days ago) @ dan

They did say to expect a lot of earthquakes this year - something to do with the earth's rotation slowing down by a millisecond a day - hard to see how that could cause earthquakes but apparently it effects the release of energy

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/18/2018-set-to-be-year-of-big-earthquakes

Anyway, seems to be happening 'as advertised'.

Do you think there's a whopper still to come? What would be the likely locations do you think?

Earthquakes everywhere

by dan, Monday, August 20, 2018, 09:05 (2048 days ago) @ dulan drift

If I had to bet, I'd say the next big one would be the west coast of North America, the west coast of South America, or Taiwan, mainly because these are the areas that have not seen a large earthquake in the last few months.

There have been rumblings in California for the last couple of weeks, and we know the big one is coming there sooner or later.

Earthquakes everywhere

by dulan drift ⌂, Tuesday, August 21, 2018, 00:04 (2047 days ago) @ dan

If I had to bet, I'd say the next big one would be the west coast of North America, the west coast of South America, or Taiwan, mainly because these are the areas that have not seen a large earthquake in the last few months.

There have been rumblings in California for the last couple of weeks, and we know the big one is coming there sooner or later.

Something stirring in Nantou as well - if it is Taiwan, then that could be a likely spot

The other thing pointing to Taiwan is that there hasn't been any typhoons - highly unusual for Taiwan to go through a lunar year without a major natural disaster of some kind - the only one I can remember was when the SARS epidemic broke out

Earthquakes everywhere

by dan, Friday, August 24, 2018, 18:29 (2044 days ago) @ dulan drift

A lot of those typhoons came north to Japan this year. We're getting rain from one now, and we're way up north.

Just had a 7.1 in Peru. so there's the big one in South America. I'm still guessing there's something big in store for the west coast of North America. And Taiwan perhaps, but I'd bet within the next 6-8 months there's going to be a 7+ in North America somewhere, likely near the coast. Will it be southern California or the Great Northwest? Yes. Either one.

There hasn't been anything over a 6.5 on the west coast for a many years as far as I can remember.

Here's an article, published eight months ago, on why there was a prediction for a greater number of strong earthquakes this year: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/18/2018-set-to-be-year-of-big-earthquakes

And another: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbressan/2017/11/20/earths-spinning-will-cause-more-ea... .

So, the scientists were right. Very right. And we have much of the year to go.

From the first article:

Bilham and Bendick found that there had been periods of around five years when Earth’s rotation slowed by such an amount several times over the past century and a half. Crucially, these periods were followed by periods when the numbers of intense earthquakes increased.

“It is straightforward,” said Bilham. “The Earth is offering us a five-year heads-up on future earthquakes.”

This link is particularly important because Earth’s rotation began one of its periodic slowdowns more than four years ago. “The inference is clear,” said Bilham. “Next year we should see a significant increase in numbers of severe earthquakes. We have had it easy this year. So far we have only had about six severe earthquakes. We could easily have 20 a year starting in 2018.”

So this appears to really be a solid tool for earthquake prediction, albeit generally.

Here's a cool video that does not reflect most recent activity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSeO_tHNn-I

Earthquakes everywhere

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, August 25, 2018, 22:59 (2043 days ago) @ dan

Great video - brings home the fact the 'big ones' are not some 'vague possibility' - they are 100% inevitable

Noticed there was at least one 8M in there for Taiwan

So how well do you think California is prepared for a 7+M?

RSS Feed of thread