Typhoon Maria (Weather)

by dulan drift ⌂, Saturday, July 07, 2018, 20:45 (2113 days ago)

Latest forecast tracks are suggesting a chance of a direct hit with Taiwan.

As recent as a few hours ago there was strong conformity for a track going comfortably north of Taiwan but something has changed

What's more, it could be massive - had a long run-up with high sea temps - that's a recipe for a monster storm

[image]

Typhoon Maria

by dan, Sunday, July 08, 2018, 06:04 (2112 days ago) @ dulan drift

Yeah it looks like we'll have to put our trip to Haulien on hold.

Typhoon Maria

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 08:27 (2109 days ago) @ dan

As it turned out, Maria stayed north and Taiwan seems to have gotten through relatively unscathed - but look out China!

It's pretty rare for the coast of China to get clobbered by a full-scale typhoon, but that's exactly what's about to happen in the next several hours. We can expect major devastation to result over a large swathe of China's mid-east coast-line - maybe even an unprecedented level.

[image]

Typhoon Maria

by dulan drift ⌂, Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 12:59 (2109 days ago) @ dulan drift

Maria has actually curved around the tip of Taiwan then ducked south again - I'd wager that's the biggest typhoon ever to hit what would normally be a protected area in China

The chart is the rainfall - I assume since midnight this morning - only shows up to 250 mil - so not clear how much they have gotten so far - but gives you an idea of the hardest hit area

[image]

Typhoon Maria

by dan, Wednesday, July 11, 2018, 16:07 (2109 days ago) @ dulan drift

That's highly unusual and it sure wasn't forecast. We didn't get a thing out of this storm. I was hoping that it might at least cool us off a bit but not at all. I'd forgotten how harsh these Taiwan summers can be. I think I prefer Japan summers and Taiwan winters.

Typhoon Maria

by dulan drift ⌂, Friday, July 13, 2018, 20:38 (2107 days ago) @ dan

Have heard almost no news out of China, though it must have done some serious damage - saw some pics from Matsu that looked like it played havoc there

There was a Foehn Wind in Taidong on the morning after Maria passed, temp getting to around 36

RSS Feed of thread